1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worst (Physics) curve ever?

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    What is the worst curve your class has gone through?

What is the worst Physics curve you ever had?

20/100 = C (they didn't say what D was) in E&M for me.
    10/100 = D, 30/100 = C in Linear Algebra.

P.S. @ staff, sry i couldn't think where the topic would fit better, if there is any feel free to move it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    I've had frequently had classes and tests in which 60/150 would have gotten you an A.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    Im only in high school
    But one of my teachers actually took points off of the tests because she said that the average score was too high. My 92 ended up being a B.

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been a while, but I think one of my upper level E&M midterm average was something like 28/120.

I thought then, and I still think now, giving exams like that is stupid teaching by the professor. A simple typo that counts as just one point, like missing a ^2 or dropping a minus sign, can cost the student dearly in your final grade.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  6. Nov 7, 2009 #5
    Many, many years ago, I had an EE course on semiconductor devices. The course average was 12%. I sailed through with a high A... 36%.

This was the only course I ever had where the grades were exponentially distributed.

7. Nov 7, 2009 #6
    that's ridiculous. wow and i thought the curves at my school were bad

8. Nov 7, 2009 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Consider yourself lucky. At my University there is no such thing as a "curve". Regardless of the difficulty, a 4/10 (the passing grade) remains a 4, whether the entire class succeed in getting it or not.
    Sometimes there are only 3 people taking a final exam (at upper undergrad courses) and the can 3 fail as it already happened in the past months.

9. Nov 7, 2009 #8
    Many years ago at UC Berkeley, the first-year graduate quantum mechanics course mid (or final, I forget) term exam had an average score of 15 out of 100. Grading was quantized in steps of 5.

Bob S

10. Nov 7, 2009 #9

whs

I don't think I've had a course that curved an actual test. Just the final grade. The rest was a mystery.

11. Nov 8, 2009 #10
    exactly. All those ridiculous curve makes makes me think my school isn't that bad after all :lol:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook