Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worst web sites, ever

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are the worst web sites you've found? Why? (Both why was it so bad, and why on Earth did you ever visit it if it was that bad?)

First nominee is Pen Island's web site at http://www.penisland.net

Reason: WORST DOMAIN NAME EVER!

One can just imagine a naive, idealistic, entrepeneur ... maybe a reformed, aging hippie looking to branch out into more legal business opportunities, certainly long before Al Gore invented the Internet, setting up his small kiosk in the mall and asking himself, "What would be a good name for a kiosk selling pens amidst this sea of people?" Suddenly, he smacks himself in the head, falls to floor, stunned, but unharmed, and then springs back up enthusiastically, "I've got it! I'll call my kiosk Pen Island!"

Oh, what a tragic decision. Better if he'd suffered a concussion and forgotten his name than what happened when he migrated to the Internet. Now the poor owner has to display a bright, red EMAIL FRAUD WARNING on his home page, warning potential customers what to do if they receive vulgar or offensive E-Mails from someone@penisland.net.

The only thing worse would be if he had been smart enough to insert an underscore between "pen" and "island". Then he would go to bed every night knowing his customers where only one omitted character away from getting the shock of their lives. Always buy up all the variations of your domain name!

The way it is, he already has to warn his customers of two imposters:

http://www.penisland.org and http://www.pen-island.net.

One can only guess what pen-island.net might have done in the past, but penisland.org is actually better than penisland.net. It has better sound, better animation, a better color scheme, and even a better island picture. About the only bad thing you can say about penisland.org is the sound isn't quite in synch with the animation. How bad is it when the parody site is better than the site it's making fun of?!

What a disaster of a domain name!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: They'll even sell you a sample pen (before you make a full order) that has their company name on it...including their web address!!! Okay, I can barely resist, I think I HAVE to have a pen that says www.penisland.net on it!

4. Feb 5, 2005 #3
    I hate those annoying flash sites.

5. Feb 5, 2005 #4
    I can just see how funny it will be if I used one of those at work.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you think I want to take that pen? Then again, I'm the one who brought sperm earrings for all the women in the lab when I found a vendor giving them away at a conference! And those pens that have the squiggly shaped clip with the ball at the end, we routinely call those sperm pens, so one that reads www.penisland.net would fit right in!

Oh, even better, leave it out where the office pen thief will be likely to pick it up! :biggrin: That might stop them from taking pens from your desk when they realize what it says. :rofl:

7. Feb 5, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that reminds of the movie:"There's something about Mary"... :tongue2: I lied both Matt Dillon & Ben Stiller... :approve:

Daniel.

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I nominate ogrish.com for worst web site ever, but there's no redeeming comedic value here, so...

9. Feb 5, 2005 #8
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's just too funny BobG!

10. Feb 6, 2005 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

So you could all enjoy aural sex without the ick ? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. Feb 6, 2005 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

penisland sounds fun! like Disneyland, but with ... ok I can't even finish this.. too vulgar, even for me.. :biggrin: :blushing:

12. Feb 6, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh gosh what can be said here? I can't stand to let this pass...hmmm...

which one has the longest rides?

13. Feb 6, 2005 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if it's a small world after all?

14. Feb 6, 2005 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: heeeehoooohoooo!! oh, you guys! :rofl:
    yer killin' me!

15. Feb 6, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You know, no matter how many times I read the name of that site, I cannot read it as Pen Island. You'd really think that by now the site owner would have decided to get a new site and just redirect their old customers there. Then again, can you imagine what the people who aren't looking for pens are thinking when they wind up there by accident? :rofl:

16. Feb 6, 2005 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

indeed. I ordered the special grab-bag assortment of oversized and irregular models and was very dissapointed when I got my shipment. :frown:

17. Feb 6, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: This is just killing me tonight. It's too late at night for me to think clearly enough to be clever, which means I can't make the comments I want to make. :grumpy:

18. Feb 6, 2005 #17
    Ah-hem! Excuse me, I'm a minor and am very offended by your remarks. I demand an official apology and your addresses so I can sue you for polluting my delicate mind with sensitive subject matter. :bugeye:

:yuck: You should be ashamed

19. Feb 6, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I apologize; I realize some people are too young to be exposed to pens. They should stick with crayons and those fat pencils. And if you thought we were talking about anything other than pens, well, you just have a sick, sick mind there. o:)

20. Feb 6, 2005 #19
    On their sample pen page, they have this addition to the bottom of the page:

"NOTE: Due to an unexpectedly large demand for our sample pens, new orders will be delayed about a week until we can replenish our supplies. You are still welcomed to place an order, though."

21. Feb 6, 2005 #20
    it's okay it happens to lots of companies. Its not a big deal. Next time. I'm not mad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?