Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worth it to use linux?

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    Been using linux for few years, but it seems like everything runs around Windows... Every(Most? 90%) EE software its made for windows, at my school every professor, software its Windows, most companies use windows.... So is there a reason to keep using linux as an Computer Engineering/ Computer Science student?? focused in Programming and Electronics(mostly robotics)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

many engineering companies ise windows for desktop machines but linux for production machines so its good to know it. Also macs run a variant of unix called MacOS so knowing linux helps you work with these types of machines as well.

Where I work we use a mixture of macs and windows with linux for production and testing.

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3
    As you asked for reasons to use linux, I'll only give the upsides. I'm not saying that Linux is all-good, but these are the advantages I can think of:

As a CS student, Linux can help you understand the OS much more (you can rip it apart and build it back). Since you are doing programming, reading and understanding the source code might help you. You can even contribute to some projects/software that you use. I can't comment on the electronics part, though. (But you can search for Linux EE software. We've got many great linux softwares around)

At the end of the day, it is about using what you like. If you feel comfortable with Linux, keep it. As long as you get your work done, it doesn't matter.

P.S. Have you tried Wine?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook