Could a Gas Tank Float at the Bottom of the Ocean?

In summary: Thanks for your input - I think I understand now. In summary, a tanker full of gasoline would float, but an empty tanker would sink.
VonTasslehoff
Hi Guys! First Post! I really like the Forums, although most of the topics are way over my head. I'm hoping you can help me solve a problem.

If a Truck-Trailed Gas Tanker, the kind that refuel Gas Stations, was full, would it float? Assuming there isn't any air for boyancy. My pal thinks that since gasoline is lighter than water, it would.
On the other hand, thinking about a full sea-going oil tanker very low in the water, I think it would sink. Am I wrong? If not, how do I explain it? I tried explaining surface tension to him, but I ran out of vocabulary.

If I am wrong, I desperately need it explained. My pal said it was "Basic" physics and it bugs the bejesus out of me, not to understand.

Thanks for any help you could give me!

-Tass

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!

Unless the walls of the container are really really thick compared to the enclosed volume, it must float. The only thing to worry about is the ratio of total mass over total volume. If this ratio is less than that for water, it will float.

If you shove a conceptual oil tanker on the ocean floor, it will pop up as fast as a cork (Well not EXACTLY, I don't actually know the numbers.).

For a true oil tanker, water pressure could deform it, causing fissures where there are weaknesses, allowing water to penetrate the oil tanks, and vice-versa, sinking it.

Gonzola,

Thanks for the quick response. I was just plain wrong. At least I now know why!
Mass comparison made it very clear.

Thanks Again!

-Tass

Not so fast here! Just what is the density of the empty trailer?

let mf = mass of fuel
mt= mass of the trailer
Vt = Volume of the trailer.

If we have:

[tex] \frac {m_f + m_t} {V_t} > 1 [/tex]

The trailer sinks. we must know the volume and mass mass of the empty trailer before any conclusions can be made. Note that the mass and volume must include the ENTIRE trailer not just the tank. Some trailers may sink other may float it is entirely dependent on the construction of the trailer, that has not been specified so there is no possible answer.

Integral, thanks for the response as well. I think Gonzolo(Sorry for the bad spelling, earlier!) gave me the ballpark answer I was looking for.

Now that I think I understand it, for my question I could have asked if a balloon the size of a tanker, full of gas would float. My pal and I couldn't get deep enough for the mass of the trailer. Way, way out of our league! But I really do appreciate the idea. I think when I bring it up to him, I'll say the trailer was built like a tank and I was taking that into account. :) Might get out of buying him a beer!

Thanks Guys!

-Tass

As far as the point about the full tanker ship riding low in the water: An empty tanker is "full of air" and while the density of oil is less than that of water, it is still greater than the density of air! Replacing air with the heavier oil is what causes it the ship to ride lower in the water.

HallsofIvy said:
As far as the point about the full tanker ship riding low in the water: An empty tanker is "full of air" and while the density of oil is less than that of water, it is still greater than the density of air! Replacing air with the heavier oil is what causes it the ship to ride lower in the water.
And, in fact, tanker ships that are empty bob like a cork - if they are going to be steaming for any amount of time empty of oil, they take on water for ballast.

The first really deep submersible, the Trieste, was essentially a big floating gas tank. The main body of the submersible looked very much like the tank you would see being pulled by a semi truck, and was full of kerosene (if I remember correctly, but it was some kind of petroleum product at any rate). The reason they chose a petroleum product rather then air is because the oil would not be crushed by the great depth. The submersible went straight down to the bottom of the Mariana's Trench at a place called the Challenger Deep, the deepest spot in the oceans. After sitting for a while, they released the weights, and the big metal can filled with gas floated back to the surface.

1. Would a gas tank float in water?

Yes, a gas tank would float in water because gasoline has a lower density than water. This means that the gas tank, which holds gasoline, would have a lower overall density than water and would therefore float on the surface of the water.

2. Can a gas tank float in other liquids besides water?

It depends on the density of the liquid. If the liquid has a lower density than gasoline, then the gas tank would float. However, if the liquid has a higher density than gasoline, the gas tank would sink.

3. How much gasoline does it take to make a gas tank float?

The amount of gasoline needed to make a gas tank float depends on the size and weight of the gas tank. Generally, a small amount of gasoline is enough to make a gas tank float because gasoline has a lower density than water.

4. Can a gas tank float if it is full of gas?

Yes, a gas tank can still float even if it is full of gas. This is because gasoline is less dense than water, so even if the gas tank is filled to capacity, the overall density of the gas tank and gasoline combined is still lower than that of water.

5. Why do gas tanks float?

Gas tanks float because of the Archimedes' principle, which states that an object will float in a fluid if it has a lower density than the fluid. Gasoline, which is what is typically stored in gas tanks, has a lower density than water, so the gas tank will float on the surface of the water.