Would a rover on an asteroid float away because of the low gravity?

In summary: Wheels are clearly not the best solution and thrusters would probably be wasteful of fuel.I heard mention of multi-legged walking rovers being potentially better than wheels even under planetary gravity in some situations. That makes sense as there are no roads available.I'm mostly not referring to getting around terrain, I'm talking about the difficulty of just moving at all. Anything that relies on friction or has the potential to bounce will be a major problem, and that includes legs. The g on that asteroid the Japanese landed on was .13 millimeters per second2.
sciencec
TL;DR Summary
Would a rover on an asteroid float away because of the low gravity?
I’m wondering if a lander/rover landed on an asteroid with a very low gravity, and we wanted to make said rover move around the asteroid, would it “float” away because of the low gravity? Wouldn’t the normal force and the gravitational force equal 0? If we added a propulsion system, how would we know the amount of propulsion to “give” to the lander? I hope my questions are clear. Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hopping aside, a rover would float away forever if it reached the escape velocity of the asteroid. The normal vs gravitational force does not have much to do with it as the asteroid is round and not flat. The question becomes one about the size of the asteroid vs how fast you want to be going.

Orodruin said:
Hopping aside, a rover would float away forever if it reached the escape velocity of the asteroid. The normal vs gravitational force does not have much to do with it as the asteroid is round and not flat. The question becomes one about the size of the asteroid vs how fast you want to be going.
So there’d have to be a way to keep the rover from floating away forever. Would the propulsion system work?

sciencec said:
Wouldn’t the normal force and the gravitational force equal 0? If we added a propulsion system, how would we know the amount of propulsion to “give” to the lander?
The gravitational field of an asteroid can be measured by sending something to orbit it. That will enable calculating the surface acceleration/gravitational force of thrust required. Yes, thrusters would work. They wouldn't be needed all the time, just when rolling over rough terrain that could cause the rover to jump off the surface.

However, the low gravity also means reduced traction, so a rover would be a very slow way to move.

russ_watters said:
However, the low gravity also means reduced traction, so a rover would be a very slow way to move.
A rover could move around much more quickly if it could fire pegs or grapples into the ground and attach tethers / walking legs. Wheels are clearly not the best solution and thrusters would probably be wasteful of fuel.
I heard mention of multi-legged walking rovers being potentially better than wheels even under planetary gravity in some situations. That makes sense as there are no roads available.

sophiecentaur said:
A rover could move around much more quickly if it could fire pegs or grapples into the ground and attach tethers / walking legs.
That seems cumbersome, but potentially doable.
Wheels are clearly not the best solution and thrusters would probably be wasteful of fuel.
I heard mention of multi-legged walking rovers being potentially better than wheels even under planetary gravity in some situations. That makes sense as there are no roads available.
I'm mostly not referring to getting around terrain, I'm talking about the difficulty of just moving at all. Anything that relies on friction or has the potential to bounce will be a major problem, and that includes legs. The g on that asteroid the Japanese landed on was .13 millimeters per second2. A rover that relied on friction to move would take hours to accelerate to walking speed if it managed to stay on the ground.

russ_watters said:
The g on that asteroid the Japanese landed on was .13 millimeters per second2.
Wow - you really would have to 'pussyfoot around'. I can see the attraction of thrusters but there would be less fuel involved if the surface would allow some sort of attachment to the ground.
If the surface is very loose (most likely?) then the vehicle could collect a large bucket full of dust / rocks to provide ballast. But would that actually help? The escape velocity is still the same so the speed of movement wouldn't necessarily be improved; the ballast would need to be slung underneath and decoupled from the rover's varying vertical motion. Not a problem if very long spindly legs were used.

1. Can a rover float away on an asteroid due to its low gravity?

Yes, it is possible for a rover to float away on an asteroid due to its low gravity. The gravity on an asteroid is significantly lower than that of Earth, making it easier for objects to become airborne.

2. How does the low gravity on an asteroid affect the movement of a rover?

The low gravity on an asteroid can greatly impact the movement of a rover. Due to the weak gravitational pull, the rover may experience difficulty in maintaining contact with the surface and may even become airborne.

3. What measures are taken to prevent a rover from floating away on an asteroid?

To prevent a rover from floating away on an asteroid, scientists and engineers take several precautions. These include using anchoring systems, increasing the weight of the rover, and using thrusters to maintain contact with the surface.

4. Can the low gravity on an asteroid affect the data collected by a rover?

Yes, the low gravity on an asteroid can affect the data collected by a rover. Due to the low gravity, the rover may experience difficulty in navigating and may not be able to collect data from certain areas of the asteroid's surface.

5. How does the low gravity on an asteroid compare to that of the moon?

The low gravity on an asteroid is significantly lower than that of the moon. The gravity on the moon is about one-sixth of that on Earth, while the gravity on an asteroid can range from one-thousandth to one-millionth of Earth's gravity.