Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would a theory of everything (or TOE) rule out metaphysics

1. Jul 19, 2003 #1
    Would a theory of everything (or TOE) rule out metaphysics, or somehow incorporate it into a greater picture? After all, it is a theory of EVERYTHING, isn't it?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2003 #2
    Re: Toe

I assume a theory of everything would describe all the physical phenomena of our universe. There would still be metaphysical questions to pose.... One could still ponder the reality of matters external to our universe. One could still ask whether or not God exists. One could ask whether or not the theory of everything is just an empirical law based on human epistemology.

So no, a theory of everything would not rule out metaphysics.

4. Jul 19, 2003 #3
    Keep in mind that a TOE would be a theory goverening EVERYTHING... Therefore, you didn't answer my question.
  5. Jul 20, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

quantum, I agree with your assertion, with the added modifier that metaphysics could just be undiscovered physics. So by definition metaphysics is not included; since if included, it is physics.

Ultimately there are and always will be concepts that cannot be defined. But this may or may not include God, spiritual matters, or what we now call mystical concepts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?