Would an Ant die if dropped from the ESB?

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the survival of ants when dropped from heights, particularly the Empire State Building. It is suggested that due to their small size and low density, ants have a lower terminal velocity and are therefore able to survive such falls. However, it is debated whether air friction and mass play a role in their survival. Some also bring up the idea of water shoes that would allow a person to run on water, and whether alcohol could be used as fuel. Overall, it is concluded that an ant's small size and design are what allow it to survive falls from great heights.
Bladibla
Relating to the 'would i die' thread

I noticed that Ants survive dropping through a lot more height than we do, of course in proportion to their body size.

No my question is: would it die if dropped from the Empire state building?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, unless it would fall in water or fire perhaps, but it would not die from impact with the floor.

I believe not. Things in the insect size category have relatively low density. Terminal velocity for them is lower.

Danger said:
I believe not. Things in the insect size category have relatively low density. Terminal velocity for them is lower.
I bet an ant is denser than you are. It is the fact mass goes as the cube of typical dimension and surface area only as the square that saves him. (Same reason that there are not skin breathing insects the same size as cars. - so in some sense you could argue that all creatures that breath only thru their skin get to fall and not die) Ant design has a lot of fine parts sticking out - this also helps with a lot of terminal velocity drag.

Reason i think he is denser than you is that your dense part (bones) are small fraction of total on the inside. His dense parts probably are not as dense, but are on the outside and represent a much greater fraction of his mass. Fact that he can "walk on water" and you can not is not counter proof. this has to due with surface tension in /on water's "skin." I don't know what the results would be, but would not be surprised if he sinks when a little detergent is added to him, to locally destroy the surface tension - try it an let me know.

Last edited:
Indeed the ant will have more surface area per unit of its mass than a man, but I think the most important difference is simply the difference in their mass.

Assuming no air friction the end velocity does not differ for different masses, but the force on the body when hitting the ground is larger for the more massive body:

mv = Ft
(where t is the short time that it takes the body to come to a stand still when contacting the ground)

So although v may be a little different (and t also a little) m is very different. Assuming a mass of 1 gram for the ant and 100 kg for the man it will be a factor of 10^5.

(more a biology topic, but as far as I know there are no skin breathing insects. Insects breath through tracheae, skin breathing occurs in worms and amphibians.)

gerben said:
...So although v may be a little different (and t also a little) m is very different. Assuming a mass of 1 gram for the ant and 100 kg for the man it will be a factor of 10^5.
Under your assumption that there is no air friction, the Vs would be the same, but I think / assume that the original question about ant falling from ESB was assuming it was thru air. If in vacuum tube, my money is still on the ant, but I bet he can no longer walk. A "top" to "ground" fall is only implied in original post but not really possible as cross section up there is smaller than a few floors down. i. e. in view of this fact, "fall from top" may be only 30 or 40 meters. Ant might make it, if get him out of vacuum tube in a few minutes, but man will not.
gerben said:
(more a biology topic, but as far as I know there are no skin breathing insects. Insects breath through tracheae, skin breathing occurs in worms and amphibians.)
That is what I meant - thru small holes in their "shells" - that term also wrong - I forget correct terms. I think most "amphibians" get most of their oxygen via lungs, but could be wrong about this.

Billy T said:
Fact that he can "walk on water" and you can not is not counter proof.
Who said I can't? :uhh:

Okay... I can't. But I can run on alcohol for extended distances. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Who said I can't? :uhh:
Many years ago I mentally invented "water shoes" that were somewhat like snow shoes. Each had many small holes covered by rubber flaps on their bottoms that would easily open to break "suction" when I lifted my foot. I never made them, but remain convenced that a strong guy in good shape could run across a small calm pond with them - but perhaps he would need some of your alcohol fuel :smile:

Last edited:
Assuming no air friction? Are you kidding?? Thats one of the biggest factors that saves the ant!

P.S.: OP, you are a monster! Should be banned from all skyscrapers :rofl:

Yes of course the friction is important but I guess that the difference in the velocity of the ant and the man when they hit the ground would be less than a factor of 10^5

since the force they feel is mv/t, I was just trying to reason what would be more important here m or v...

At terminal speed, air resistance balances weight, so
[tex]C_DAv^2=mg[/tex]
The "killability" of a fall relates to the total kinetic energy per unit mass of the body absorbing the kinetic energy. This is simply proportional to v^2. But from above formula, v^2 is proportional to weight over area. Since weight is proportional to length^3, and area to length^2, v^2 is proportional to length. An ant is one thousandth the linear size of a man, so its fall from a height sufficient to achieve terminal velocity (which BTW is only a few inches; ESB not needed) has only 1/1000 the killing power of a fall of a person from ESB.

Billy T said:
Many years ago I mentally invented "water shoes" that were somewhat like snow shoes. Each had many small holes covered by rubber flaps on their bottoms that would easily open to break "suction" when I lifted my foot. I never made them, but remain convenced that a strong guy in good shape could run across a small calm pond with them - but perhaps he would need some of your alcohol fuel :smile:
I like the idea, but I think that's there's a lot more engineering involved. For one thing, the flaps when open would cause a lot of drag. I don't know what's abovethe flaps, so whether you're dealing more with vacuum suction or surface tension is in question. No doubt you can work something out that works. At least make your flaps hinged at the front so that they act as little ratchets to keep you from sliding back. That will also minimize their drag. The most serious difficulty that I see is in maintaining balance and not just doing a face-plant combined with the splits. Maybe longitudinal strakes? Anyhow, good luck with it.

Now, enough theorizing. Will someone in the New York area please just throw a damned ant off of there and see what happens? (You might want a ground-based observer with very good eyesight.) :biggrin:

Danger said:
I like the idea, but I think that's there's a lot more engineering involved. For one thing, the flaps when open would cause a lot of drag. I don't know what's abovethe flaps, so whether you're dealing more with vacuum suction or surface tension is in question. No doubt you can work something out that works. At least make your flaps hinged at the front so that they act as little ratchets to keep you from sliding back. That will also minimize their drag. The most serious difficulty that I see is in maintaining balance and not just doing a face-plant combined with the splits. Maybe longitudinal strakes? Anyhow, good luck with it.
I am too old to do it now. Idea was many approx 1/2 inch dia. holes in hex pattern about 1.5 inches apart. Each thin flap was much smaller than you are guessing with only a staple at front for ease of construction. (no drag -slight thrust see below)

I had computed the "contact time" of each foot/shoe and as recall the verticle impulse gained from only about two square feet of water being forced down one inch was enough to hold me up. The flaps are to let me extract my foot/shoe from this one inch depression with as little effort as possible (and as secondary consideration, shed some of the water that got on top of shoe thru the shoe (as well as off the sides and ends) I was pleased to note that falling water thru the tilted flaps had some (insignificant) forward thrust as it slid down the open flap.

You are perhaps correct that the flaps might give some traction for placing a forward force on your body. (Unlike running on dirt, water's coefficient of friction is not much help in this regard.) I was not counting on this, and think it a net disadvantage as makes it harder to lift foot, (speed of impact with water is essential) so I also had several thin vertical fins (about 3 inches deep/tall - I thought would be good) that went transversely on the bottom of each shoe to get some "purchase" on the water for generation of forward force - don't need too much once you get going (Newtons first law and all that stuff.). That is, IMO, it is better to divide the "break suction/ lift foot easy" task for the "get some traction" task and optimize each separately. Your welcome to my design ideas - just let me know if I was right. Good luck to you - summer is soon there in your hemisphere. get busy. :devil: (You can swim can't you :biggrin: )

Last edited:
I'm not perfectly sure, but I believe the critical 'to die or not to die when falling at terminal velocity' mass for animals is somewhere close to that of the average mouse. Of course, it depends on specific body geometry - but if that isn't too exotic the value should hold.

Billy T said:
I am too old to do it now.
You are too old to do it now? If you're anything like typical of this site, I have socks older than you.

Billy T said:
(You can swim can't you :biggrin: )
No, actually. :redface: Semi-true: I know how, and used to love to when I was a kid (mostly underwater, though). My problem now is that I go into hypothermia if I get wet. I've tried even heated indoor pools, and just can't handle it. I even had to buy a deep-sea wetsuit to play baseball in because they refused to call our tournament games in a hail storm. I couldn't see the catcher through it, and the batter was a blur. That might not have been so bad if I hadn't been the pitcher. (If my bathing habits concern you, I use a very hot bathtub and into a terry robe as fast as possible.)

Last edited:
Billy T said:
summer is soon there in your hemisphere.
I live in Alberta! What the hell is 'summer'? :confused:

Danger said:
I live in Alberta! What the hell is 'summer'? :confused:
Easy question - It is when you need my "water shoes" to walk across the still zero degree C, but now liquid, pond. :biggrin:

Danger said:
You are too old to do it now? If you're anything like typical of this site, I have socks older than you.
I doubt it - I never throw anything away.

I mentioned that I had estimated the "contact time" - let me tell a little more about how as it gives someway for you to judge my age.

When Roger Banister did the "imposible" - ran a mile in under 4 minutes - the local newspaper gave some of his stats - from his stride, 5280 feet/ mile and 4 minutes, I computed the contact time, assuming that in the case of my water shoes, one shoe would always be in contact. His feat, was also partially responsible for me doing the "serious calculations" /design but many years earlier I had thought of the basics idea as I watched ducks run on the water to get up "flight speed" (I assumed that a strong sprinter could keep up his pace for nearly a minute even though it would be much harded to brake contact with the water. That is why the target crossing is only a "small calm pond.")

I probably should also note that I was fishing when watching the ducks - gun powder had not yet been invented. :smile: (but socks had, so you still have a case, if yours are really old.):biggrin:

Last edited:
Brinx said:
I'm not perfectly sure, but I believe the critical 'to die or not to die when falling at terminal velocity' mass for animals is somewhere close to that of the average mouse. Of course, it depends on specific body geometry - but if that isn't too exotic the value should hold.
Also depends on what you hit at end of fall - Concrete not recommended, even for skinny mouse. :rolleyes:

Billy T said:
gun powder had not yet been invented. :smile: (but socks had, so you still have a case, if yours are really old.):biggrin:
Judging by the cat's reaction when she walks by, I'm guessing that they're a little older than is normally considered socially correct.

Bladibla said:
Relating to the 'would i die' thread

I noticed that Ants survive dropping through a lot more height than we do, of course in proportion to their body size.

No my question is: would it die if dropped from the Empire state building?
As much as I figured that this thread was well-dead and buried, I just found an item in the new Scientific American that is actually relevant to it. I couldn't find it on their web-site (I don't know my way around), so I'm just going to type it out (typesetting styles included) as it appears.

ENTOMOLOGY

Descent of the Ants

Rather than falling haphazardly, 25 species of arboreal ants in Panama, Costa Rica and Peru can glide back to their home trees–the first known instance of wingless insects guiding their fall. White nail polish on the ants' rear legs and high-speed video revealed that after being dropped from 30 meters up, ants can swivel quickly to glide backward to a tree. They can make 180-degree turns in midair that appear to involve abdominal undulations, airfoillike flattened hind legs, and flattened heads with flanges that can act as rudders. Eighty-five percent of canopy ant (Cephalotes atratus) workers returned to their home tree after falling, frequently crawling back to the branch from which they started within 10 minutes. Evidence suggests that the ants sometimes might purposely drop off trees to avoid predators. The report landed in the February 10 Nature.
Charles Q. Choi

quote from light and matter ebook no 1 page 38

Salviati contradicts Sagredo:
SALVIATI: ...Please observe, gentlemen, how facts which at first seem
improbable will, even on scant explanation, drop the cloak which has hidden
them and stand forth in naked and simple beauty. Who does not know that a
horse falling from a height of three or four cubits will break his bones, while a
dog falling from the same height or a cat from a height of eight or ten cubits will
suffer no injury? Equally harmless would be the fall of a grasshopper from a
tower or the fall of an
ant from the distance of the moon.
The point Galileo is making here is that small things are sturdier in
proportion to their size. There are a lot of objections that could be raised,
however. After all, what does it really mean for something to be “strong”, to
be “strong in proportion to its size,” or to be strong “out of proportion to its
size?” Galileo hasn’t spelled out operational definitions of things like
“strength,” i.e. definitions that spell out how to measure them numerically.

as what you saw above i say no it cannot be dies from distance of embire state

heaven eye

dropping an ant from ESB will almost certainly result in ant's destruction.

the death will come from above, when the busy pedestrians of the new york city step over the ant, repeatedly

cronxeh said:
dropping an ant from ESB will almost certainly result in ant's destruction.

the death will come from above, when the busy pedestrians of the new york city step over the ant, repeatedly
I love the way your mind works. Let's hit GD and harrass the peasants. I could use a good wingman. :biggrin:

What is the ESB?

The ESB, or Empire State Building, is a skyscraper located in New York City, USA. It stands at 1,454 feet tall and is one of the most iconic buildings in the world.

Can ants survive a fall from the ESB?

It is highly unlikely that an ant would survive a fall from the top of the ESB. The height is too great and the impact with the ground would be too strong for the ant's small body to withstand.

Why is it unlikely for an ant to survive a fall from the ESB?

Ants have a very small body mass and are not capable of gliding or slowing their fall like some insects and animals can. Additionally, the air pressure and wind currents at such a height would make it difficult for an ant to control its descent.

Are there any factors that could increase an ant's chances of survival?

If an ant were to fall from a lower level of the ESB, there is a chance it could survive due to the shorter distance and potentially softer landing. However, the odds are still slim and most ants would not survive the fall.

What would happen to the ant's body if it did survive the fall?

If an ant were to somehow survive a fall from the ESB, it would likely suffer severe injuries such as broken limbs and internal damage. It would also struggle to find food and shelter at such a great height, making its chances of survival very slim in the long run.