• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Would an extra year help?

• Thread starter Rfederer
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am a first time poster, and have enjoyed reading this forums for awhile now. I am currently enrolled in a not so great undergraduate college as a computer science major. I was wondering if it would be worth the extra semester or year (so a total of 4.5-5.0) in order to get a double major with computer science and math. What do you think?

I really want to get into a top 50 computer science graduate school, and I have a GPA of 3.9+. I have not taken the GRE, but plan on studying hard and making a top grade on it. I am about to start doing research with the computer science department as well. I was really wondering what do you think my shot is of getting into a good school, and what is your opinion on a double major and does the extra year look bad?

Thank you for your help, and I realize I have not given that much information. I apologize.

Answers and Replies

No an extra year does not look bad! In fact, it probably looks even better that you have a more solid foundation and that you can sustain a high GPA over the course of multiple years showing that you will likely be able to endure the length of graduate school. You have a great GPA and with research experience I'm pretty sure you could get into a top 50 school!

Good luck!