Existence Without Mankind: Forum Discussion

• Thread starter ptalar
  • Start date
In summary, the question of whether anything would exist if mankind wasn't around to see it is a deep philosophical and metaphysical one. While some may argue that the existence of mankind is necessary for things to exist, others believe that events and existence occur regardless of our observation. Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem adds a layer to this debate, suggesting that our understanding of the universe is limited by our own logic. Ultimately, the concept of existence and observation is complex and may never be fully understood.
Daiquiri said:
I have to admit that I don't get what you mean... Can you elaborate on this one?

Meaning we can reasonably conclude with enough evidence that events are taking place even if we're not around to see them.

Physics news on Phys.org
LightbulbSun said:
Meaning we can reasonably conclude with enough evidence that events are taking place even if we're not around to see them.

I think we should go back to the original question, the one in the title. The only possible and demonstrable answer to that question is, IMHO, that we don't really know and will never be able to know.

A universe without observers is possible only as a thought experiment. And even so it is a paradox because that same thought experiment is a violation of such a universe.

In the very moment when you think about such kind of universe you become it's observer and that makes it possible for you to conceive the possibility of existence of things.

Daiquiri said:
In the very moment when you think about such kind of universe you become it's observer and that makes it possible for you to conceive the possibility of existence of things.

OK I've had enough of this, now thinking is observing :cry:

this is my last post on this subject, but i will be looking in the philosophy forum again.

good by all.

Daiquiri said:
I think we should go back to the original question, the one in the title. The only possible and demonstrable answer to that question is, IMHO, that we don't really know and will never be able to know.

A universe without observers is possible only as a thought experiment. And even so it is a paradox because that same thought experiment is a violation of such a universe.

You have to take the self aspect out of this. If we did not exist as species, yet everything was here then things are still existing. We confirm it through our own senses, but ultimately we don't need to be around for something to exist. I know that's counter intuitive, but if you think about it from an outsiders perspective you can see that it's definitely possible.

All in all, I cannot demonstrate my point of view, and you cannot do it with yours. And we could go on with this for the next couple of years, I think (btw: yes - I think therefore I observe, scupydog).

I agree with scupydog, this pub is closing and maybe it's time to go home. Anyone for a last beer? :biggrin:

Why do you assert that mankind is the "observor participator"? Are you going to use this to argue against evolution- that since nothing could exist before mankind existed, there could have been no "primoridial" one-celled creatures, no dinosaurs, etc.?

This topic seems senseless and conceited. We don't need to be here for all of this to happen. That's my point of view.

Here are some crazy, mixed thoughts from me. I don't think "observer" means "one who sees". Does it not mean something that makes a measurement. In the experiment, isn't the apple an observer? Isn't the light source? Don't we, as an observer of the apple, prove the existence of an apple tree, dirt, water, sunlight, minerals, gravity (unless the apple is floating)...
The first particle that observed another particle proved the existence of the first particle. Did the second particle exist before the first one was observed by it?

kokain said:
Here are some crazy, mixed thoughts from me. I don't think "observer" means "one who sees". Does it not mean something that makes a measurement. In the experiment, isn't the apple an observer? Isn't the light source? Don't we, as an observer of the apple, prove the existence of an apple tree, dirt, water, sunlight, minerals, gravity (unless the apple is floating)...
The first particle that observed another particle proved the existence of the first particle. Did the second particle exist before the first one was observed by it?

Think of it like this. If I'm the only human on the planet and no one with enough intelligence can measure me does that suddenly mean my existence ceases to be? Existence doesn't need any confirmation.

These Rush lyrics are very useful: You can twist perception. Reality won't budge.

Meaning even if we never bothered to discover the origins of the Universe, that doesn't make everything that happened before us suddenly never happen just because we didn't confirm it.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
A more relevant question, perhaps, is if the laws of the universe are inherent or imposed. Does the existence of observers force the universe to behave logically, or is it a limitation the universe imposes upon us? Perhaps we are prisoners of our own logic.

We are prisoners of our own logic, and we are prisoners of what is imposed on us!