Feynmann & Lie Superalgebras: Would He Dance?

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
In summary, At Serkan Cabi's blog, it has been noted that the allegedly "ugly" standard model group SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) has been discovered as a distinguished object in pure mathematics, specifically in the theory of Lie superalgebras. This news may have caused Feynmann to dance, just as he did when the new superstring theory was thought to be unique. In a recent issue of "This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics", John Baez briefly mentioned "superalgebras" and their connection to Z2 graded algebras, a topic that is currently being explored by physicists.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Over at Serkan Cabi's blog he note a really new discovery: http://www.mit.edu/people/cabi/blog/2005/04/su3xsu2xu1-is-special.html.

The allegedy "ugly" standard model gorup SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) has turned up as a distinguished object in pure mathematics. In the theory of Lie superalgebras, which I suppose we'll all have to scarf up now!

Feynmann is said to have danced when the new superstring theory seemed to be unique. Would he have danced at this news? I think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
selfAdjoint said:
The allegedy "ugly" standard model gorup SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) has turned up as a distinguished object in pure mathematics. In the theory of Lie superalgebras, which I suppose we'll all have to scarf up now!

If I remember right, John Baez was discussing "superalgebras" in the most recent "This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics". I only glanced at the easiest parts of that TWF. Had to do with Z2 graded algebras, something he said you might have expected mathematicians to take up and run with but the physicists did instead. Is there some connection, or am I confusing different topics?

As a theoretical physicist, Richard Feynman was always interested in new discoveries and theories, especially those that had a potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe. So, it is highly likely that he would have been intrigued by the news of SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) being a distinguished object in pure mathematics.

Moreover, Feynman was known for his love for dancing and celebrating new breakthroughs in science. He famously danced when the theory of superstring was shown to be unique. Therefore, it is safe to say that he would have danced at this news as well.

This discovery not only sheds light on the structure of Lie superalgebras but also has the potential to deepen our understanding of the standard model of particle physics. As a pioneer in the field of quantum mechanics and particle physics, Feynman would have been excited about the implications of this discovery for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

In conclusion, Feynman would have definitely danced at the news of SU(3)XSU(2)XU(1) being a distinguished object in pure mathematics. His curiosity and enthusiasm for new discoveries and theories would have been piqued, and he would have eagerly delved into the research to understand its implications for the field of physics.

1. What are Feynman and Lie Superalgebras?

Feynman and Lie Superalgebras are mathematical structures used to study the symmetries of physical systems. They were developed by physicists Richard Feynman and Wilhelm Lie, and are used in many areas of theoretical physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics.

2. What is the significance of "Would He Dance?" in the title?

The phrase "Would He Dance?" is a nod to Richard Feynman's famous quote, "What I cannot create, I do not understand." It suggests that in order to truly understand the complex mathematics of Feynman and Lie Superalgebras, one must be able to "dance" with the equations, to fully grasp their significance and intricacies.

3. How are Feynman and Lie Superalgebras related?

Feynman and Lie Superalgebras are two separate mathematical structures that are closely related. Feynman Superalgebras are a type of Lie Superalgebra, which is a generalization of the mathematical concept of a Lie algebra. Both structures are used to study symmetries in physics, but Feynman Superalgebras are specifically designed to describe symmetries in quantum mechanical systems.

4. What applications do Feynman and Lie Superalgebras have?

Feynman and Lie Superalgebras have a wide range of applications in theoretical physics. They are used to study symmetries in quantum field theory, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. They have also been applied to problems in condensed matter physics and string theory.

5. What are the challenges of working with Feynman and Lie Superalgebras?

Working with Feynman and Lie Superalgebras can be challenging because they involve complex mathematical concepts and equations. They also require a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and theoretical physics. Additionally, there are still many unsolved problems and unanswered questions surrounding these structures, making them a subject of ongoing research and exploration.