1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would it be pointless for a chemistry major to get a degree in electronic engineering

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    I'm in my 3rd year of a chemistry course but I have more of a passion for computers and technology than chemistry. I didn't know the difference between science and engineering before choosing this course but I've come to the conclusion that engineering is more the practical side of things, meaning it involves implementing science theory into solutions to problems and the construction of systems etc. Thats the kinda thing I'm good at and like doing so I think I shoulda chose an engineering course. I'm gonna get this chemistry BSc but there is an electronics engineering course which I like the look of and would like to do. My countries in recession and is estimated to remain this way for at least 5 years so its not a bad time to be studying instead of working. Would there be any advantages to having a chemistry degree if I were to change course and get into electronics engineering instead? I'm not sure what field I wanna get into, I would also like to get into neuroscience, someone with profound knowledge of both chemistry and electronics engineering would have lots of the tools required to get into fields involving the manipulation of the brain using electronics devices. Would it be a good idea for me to get this electronics engineering degree before going for a masters (I know you need a BSc in a science field before getting into a neuroscience course so I assume the additional degree is a masters or something) in neuroscience?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Would it be pointless for a chemistry major to get a degree in electronic enginee

engineering is basically applied science...what about chemical engineering?

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    Re: Would it be pointless for a chemistry major to get a degree in electronic enginee

Its too late to change course. I have to think about what I wanna do once I'm finished this chemistry BSc. I really like technology related stuff so I wouldn't mind studying electronics engineering or computer science after this. Since my countries in a recession, there are no jobs to be had so I might as well just work on getting degrees.

5. Sep 21, 2011 #4

are you greek? well ya it seems like you are interested in something completely different than chemistry alhough i have to tell you electronics is not as fun as it seems. i suggest you take a digital design course first then pick.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5

I have a MS in chem and if I could do it over again I would have just stuck with engineering. Now I'm 27 and quitting my chemistry job to go back to school for engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook