Would like to continue physics degree at UF

In summary, the speaker was a physics major at USF with low grades who later obtained a degree from Thomas Edison State College. They now feel more prepared and hope to finish their degree at UF with only 12 credits remaining. They are unsure if they will be accepted, but are considering explaining their situation to the department chair and proving their proficiency in the subject. However, admission decisions are ultimately up to the university and there is no guarantee of acceptance. It is recommended to provide as much detail as possible in the application and reach out to the department chair for support.
Mathos
I was a physics major at USF with abysmal grades some time ago and I sort of panicked and got a degree from Thomas Edison State College (not prestigious, but I figured any B.A. is better than none). I feel much more prepared through self-study and was hoping to go back and finish at UF (I have roughly 12 credits needed).

I realize it is unlikely I'll get accepted on any basis to the school, but I was hoping someone who was in a similar situation could give me any advice. I was thinking I could attempt an explanation to the department chair, maybe ask for a chance to prove proficiency in the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts?It is definitely possible to try and explain your situation to the department chair of UF and ask for a chance to prove your proficiency in the subject. However, it is important to keep in mind that admission decisions are ultimately up to the university. It might be worth submitting an application and seeing what happens, but there is no guarantee of acceptance. If you do decide to apply, make sure to provide as much detail as possible in your application to make your case as strong as possible. Additionally, it would be helpful to reach out to the department chair to express your interest and explain your situation. Good luck!

1. What is the admission process for pursuing a physics degree at UF?

The admission process for a physics degree at UF is the same as for any other undergraduate degree. You will need to apply through the university's admissions office and meet their requirements, which include a strong academic background in math and science courses. You may also need to submit standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. What courses are required for a physics degree at UF?

UF offers a Bachelor of Science in Physics, which requires students to take a variety of courses in math, physics, and other related subjects. Some of the required courses include calculus, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics. Students can also choose electives in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

3. Are there research opportunities available for physics students at UF?

Yes, UF has a strong research program in physics and offers numerous opportunities for students to get involved. Undergraduate students can participate in research projects through various programs, such as the University Scholars Program and the Honors Program. Students can also work with faculty members on independent research projects or assist with ongoing research in different areas of physics.

4. Can I transfer credits from another university to my physics degree at UF?

Yes, UF accepts transfer credits from other accredited universities. However, the acceptance of transfer credits will depend on several factors, including the courses' content and the accreditation of the institution. It is best to consult with an academic advisor at UF to determine which credits may transfer towards your physics degree.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a physics degree from UF?

A physics degree from UF can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research, education, engineering, and technology. Many graduates also pursue graduate studies in physics or other related fields. Some specific job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, aerospace engineer, and high school physics teacher.