1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would love to hear your opinions on this program

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    I had always enjoyed the thought of being a geneticist, and I only recently found out about this program that would let me double major in both biochem and genetics (http://biochemistry.tamu.edu/?ch=ugrad&sec=welcome), and I'd like to hear your opinions on it, perhaps on the courses offered as well.

Now, before there is excess criticism, I know A&M is not exactly a top notch science school, but I'm limited to public texan schools, since I come from a family of four children (all going to college at around the same time period).

Anyhow, I was also thinking of doing my graduate studies on Genomics/Bioinformatic at A&M (http://gene.tamu.edu/), and, opinions on that program would be most welcome as well (I'd go for the phD right after undergrad).

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

Well generally you are very much encouraged to do your PhD somewhere other than where you did your undergrad (in fact, you're discouraged from doing them at the same place). Other than that, seems fine.

4. Nov 9, 2005 #3
    I always wondered why it was discouraged to do such a thing in the US? It's not uncommon here, and departments sometimes even try to keep you on for postgrad work in the UK.

5. Nov 9, 2005 #4

I don't know. I can understand in France staying in the same place, since individual universities are more specialized there than they are here, but here I think the advantage is broadening your professional connections. Working at multiple universities gives you more people to colloborate with that you know personally (at least that is the best reason I can think of). There are also fewer universities in the UK, by virtue of the smaller population, so maybe the academic community is less geographically divided, so that is less of an issue? Maybe I'm reading way more into something that is really simple than I should? I don't know.

6. Nov 9, 2005 #5
    So, you would say that the program seems bad, okay, good?

7. Nov 9, 2005 #6
    Seems fine to me.

8. Nov 9, 2005 #7
    Thanks. =)

9. Nov 10, 2005 #8
    Additional, I'm going to meet with the program's undergraduate advisor on friday, so I was wondering if there should be particular questions that I need to be asking...

10. Nov 10, 2005 #9

ASk him what their students usually do after graduation. What career path do most of the students take?

11. Nov 10, 2005 #10
    Anybody else can provide some insight on the program? =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?