1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would mass oscilate ?

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    In my question,I have two masses ( M ) ,one fixed at +y and the other at -y axis and both have a distance of L from the origine. The third mass (m) is located on the +x axis at the distance of X.

I know that the gravitational forces are acting on the (m) by both masses (M), The net force is on the x axis toward (-x) and magnitude of 2Fgrav and this force will accelerate the (m) toward equilibrium (Origine) and once it is there the Fgrav =0 but because it has a velocity it will continue until its velocity=0 , So this Fgrav force on the X axis is Restoring force .Therefore,the mass will oscilate. My question is since my equation is
    (x:+2GMmx/(L^2+X^2)^3/2=0) , I cant say this is Simple harmonic oscilation because my equation of motion doesnt just consist of x but x/(...+x^2)^3/2,
    So under what condition for x ,it is possible to say that the motion of the mass (m) can be approximated as Simple harmonic motion ?

Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

if you know that the mass will oscillate back and forth on the x axis then you don't need the y components and you can use trig to isolate the x component of the force. this will give you an equation in x
  4. Feb 24, 2006 #3
    Do you mean that since my equation of motion x (2dot)+2GMm(x/(L^2+x^2)^3/2=0, ( for SHM, the equation of motion x(2dot)+W^2x=0 ) I can just say that (L^2+x^2)^3/2 = 1 so x=(1-L^2)^1/2 )

Is this right ?

5. Feb 24, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As with most other problems where the approximation to a harmonic oscillator is made, the relevant regime is one of small oscillations, ie: x << L (so that, to first order in L2 + x2 ~ L2 )

Typically, you write the taylor expansion, and will see that the first term after the linear term is of order 3 in x/L. You can throw away this and smaller terms.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  6. Feb 24, 2006 #5
    thank you very much,I understand now
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?