Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Would Schrödinger's bomb be as uncertain as his cat?

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    if you were standing next to Schrödinger's bomb, triggered by a random event. Would you say "The bomb is both exploded and unexploded?".

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, and neither would you say (accurately anyway) that the cat is both dead and alive.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of threads on this forum about it all. I suggest a forum search and a good place to start is the set of links at the bottom of this page

4. Jul 25, 2016 #3
    Thx phinds

5. Jul 25, 2016 #4

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

Of course not.

There are a number off slightly different ways of resolving Schrodinger's Cat but here is my way.

Due to decoherence objects here in the macro world have definite position. The constituent parts of an exploded and un-exploded bomb have different positions. This means you cant have a superposition of an exploded and un-exploded bomb.

Thanks
    Bill

6. Jul 26, 2016 #5

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Related: the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb tester.

If you have a bomb that's triggered by a single qubit being on at a particular time (e.g. a single photon passing by), you can experimentally separate dud bombs from live bombs without setting off all of the live bombs by performing superposed queries.

If I recall correctly, you can make this effect arbitrarily strong (i.e. lose arbitrarily few bombs due to the classification process blowing them up by passing a photon through) via Grover's search algorithm.

7. Jul 26, 2016 #6
    So I guess the answer to the title question would be, "Yes, Schroedinger's bomb is as uncertain as his cat - but that isn't saying much".

8. Jul 26, 2016 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

9. Jul 26, 2016 #8

Strilanc

Science Advisor

10. Jul 26, 2016 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Sorry, I haven't noticed your post before.

11. Jul 26, 2016 #10
    I want to upload a small diagram from my hard drive, must I upload it somewhere else first? (anti-malware?)
    [/PLAIN] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  12. Jul 26, 2016 #11

Strilanc

Science Advisor

The image uploading UX is kind of awful on this site. You probably clicked on the 'insert an image' button in the toolbar, but that only takes URLs.

You upload diagrams by hitting the 'upload' button near the 'Post Reply' button to the bottom right of the reply box. Then the file you picked will appear in a list below the reply box, and you can click either 'THUMBNAIL' or 'FULL IMAGE' within that list to insert it inline in the post.

13. Jul 26, 2016 #12
    Try uploading it to photobucket or similar website, then use the URL pointing to the image for the input when you click 'Image'

14. Jul 26, 2016 #13

OCR

Or, you can take a screen grab of a picture, from "My Pictures", with the Snipping Tool and copy it... then paste it here.

upload_2016-7-26_20-51-33.png

That's what I just did...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldsmile:

I also centered it buy placing it between these tags... [ center][/center].

But, don't leave a space between the bracket and the c... I had to, so it would show here...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  15. Jul 26, 2016 #14

David Lewis

Gold Member

To qualify as Schrödinger's Bomb, the bomb would need to be in an armored, soundproof box so that you don't know whether the bomb went off until you open the box.

16. Jul 27, 2016 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which would be irrelevant regarding whether or not the bomb was ever in a state of both exploded and unexploded, which it is not and which was the OP's question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted