Would the baseball clear the fence- projectile motion

In summary, to determine if the baseball will clear the fence, we can use the kinematic equations and trigonometric equations to calculate the time and vertical position of the baseball. If the vertical position is greater than the height of the fence, then the baseball will clear the fence. It is also important to consider the effect of gravity and use consistent units in calculations.
dani123

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit at a point 1.00m above homeplate. The baseball is given an initial velocity of 35.0m/s at an angle of 45.0° with respect to the horizontal. If the baseball is traveling towards the outfield fence which is 4.0m high and 120m away, will the baseball clear (go over) the fence? If so, by how many maters will it clear the fence? If not, where will the baseball strike?

Homework Equations

dv=1/2*at2
dh=Vh*Δt
Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
dh=-V2*sin2θ /g
sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
Δt=-2Vsinθ / g

The Attempt at a Solution

dh= cos(45)*35=24.7m
Δt=24.7m/35m/s=0.71s

d=(35)(0.71)+1/2(9.8)(0.71)2=27.3m

No, the baseball will not clear the fence.

I am really lost on this problem just because we are given so many measurements to work with and I don't know the appropriate time to use them and which equation is the right one. If someone could please check my work and correct me and also verify my significant figures that would be greatly appreciated!Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would like to offer some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to identify the given information and what is being asked. In this case, we are given the initial velocity, angle, and position of the baseball, as well as the height and distance of the fence. We are asked to determine if the baseball will clear the fence and if so, by how much.

To solve this problem, we can use the kinematic equations, which relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object. It is also helpful to sketch a diagram to visualize the situation.

From the given information, we can calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity using the trigonometric equations. The horizontal component will remain constant throughout the motion, while the vertical component will change due to the acceleration of gravity.

Using the given equations, we can calculate the time it takes for the baseball to reach the fence, as well as its vertical position at that time. If the vertical position is greater than the height of the fence, then the baseball will clear the fence.

I would also like to point out that your initial attempt at a solution is missing the effect of gravity on the vertical position of the baseball. Additionally, you should use consistent units throughout your calculations.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask for further clarification if needed. Happy problem solving!

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a baseball?

In order to calculate the trajectory of a baseball, we use the principles of projectile motion. This includes taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity.

2. What factors affect the distance a baseball can travel?

The distance a baseball can travel is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the gravitational pull of the Earth. Other factors such as wind and temperature can also play a role.

3. Can a baseball clear a fence in a straight line?

It is possible for a baseball to clear a fence in a straight line, depending on the initial velocity and angle of launch. However, external factors such as wind and air resistance can also affect the trajectory and distance of the ball.

4. How does the height of the fence impact the trajectory of a baseball?

The height of the fence can impact the trajectory of a baseball by limiting the maximum height the ball can reach. This can also affect the distance the ball travels, as it may hit the fence before reaching its maximum range.

5. Can a baseball clear a fence at different distances from home plate?

Yes, a baseball can clear a fence at different distances from home plate. This is because the initial velocity and angle of launch can be adjusted to achieve the desired trajectory and distance. However, external factors such as wind and air resistance must also be taken into consideration.