Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would the event horizon move?

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1

qwe

as "tidal gravitational forces" ripple outward, does that not change the curvature of space, making the region around the black hole very dynamic? so wouldn't the event horizon not be a sphere, but rather a wavy dynamic structure? because the "measured gravity" at a specific radius out at any given point would constantly change?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

qwe

NOBODY knows? it has to be in the maths

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Curvature of space is really quite complicated. In fact, we only have a handful of exact solutions to the Einstein Field Equations. Most of the time, people just work with numerical approximations. I have no first hand knowledge of whether passing gravitational distortions would affect the EH of a black hole. I would suspect that it would, but I really have no proof of this.

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4

Ich

Science Advisor

I don't have the details at hand, but any perturbation of the EH fades away very quickly, by emitting gravitational waves. It's a matter of seconds for spacetime to calm down and the EH being spherical again.

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5

qwe

if the math actually says it is a matter of seconds, then it would look sort of like a spherical liquid (if we could visualize the EH that is) with a wavy surface

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook