Would the event horizon move?

• Thread starter qwe
  • Start date
qwe
as "tidal gravitational forces" ripple outward, does that not change the curvature of space, making the region around the black hole very dynamic? so wouldn't the event horizon not be a sphere, but rather a wavy dynamic structure? because the "measured gravity" at a specific radius out at any given point would constantly change?

Answers and Replies

qwe
NOBODY knows? it has to be in the maths

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Curvature of space is really quite complicated. In fact, we only have a handful of exact solutions to the Einstein Field Equations. Most of the time, people just work with numerical approximations. I have no first hand knowledge of whether passing gravitational distortions would affect the EH of a black hole. I would suspect that it would, but I really have no proof of this.

Ich
Science Advisor
so wouldn't the event horizon not be a sphere, but rather a wavy dynamic structure?
I don't have the details at hand, but any perturbation of the EH fades away very quickly, by emitting gravitational waves. It's a matter of seconds for spacetime to calm down and the EH being spherical again.

qwe
if the math actually says it is a matter of seconds, then it would look sort of like a spherical liquid (if we could visualize the EH that is) with a wavy surface