No Ultimate Speed: Exploring Relativistic Effects

In summary, without a finite invariant speed, there would likely be no relativistic effects. This is because the principle of relativity, which is necessary for the existence of relativistic effects, would not apply. Without the principle of relativity, it is impossible to determine how the universe would look like, as it is based on hypothetical laws. Additionally, the only self-consistent theories that can be derived from the principle of relativity involve a finite invariant speed, making it a crucial factor in understanding relativistic effects. However, without the principle of relativity, it is impossible to determine the behavior of the universe, as demonstrated by the Mansouri-Sexl test theories.
Jazzyrohan
Would there have been any relativistic effects if there was no ultimate speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a speed limit there would be no relativity. How the universe would look like depends on the unspecified hypothetical laws.

Likes dextercioby
I assume that you mean "invariant speed" when you write "ultimate speed", which is not a term with which I am familiar.

It is possible to derive relativity from just the principle of relativity. You get two self-consistent theories, one with a finite invariant speed (Einstein's theory) and one with an infinite invariant speed (Newton's theory). In that sense, requiring a finite invariant speed selects the theory with relativistic effects over the theory without.

But note that I've added a lot to your question by assuming the principle of relativity. There is no particular reason to suppose that the principle of relativity applies, except that it works for our universe. Your question, taken generally, is just "how would physics be different if physics were different?". Such a general question cannot be answered, as mfb points out.

Jazzyrohan said:

What do you mean by relativistic effects? Departures from Newtonian physics? Those are changes in the way we explain these effects. They are not changes in the way Nature behaves, just changes in the way we expect it to behave. People have been observing the way magnets attract iron for centuries, if not millennia. The fact that Einstein explained this as an effect of relative motion is a monumental accomplishment.

I don't know what the universe would be like if we didn't have things like magnetism. As far as I know, such a thing would not be possible.

Likes dextercioby
Jazzyrohan said:

Probably not. But it's difficult to be sure we share an understanding of what the word "relativistic effects" means. The reason I say probably not is based on the following mathematical argument (and a few vague memories). If we take the relativistic transform equation, the Lorentz transform

$$x' = \gamma(x - v\,t) \quad t' = \gamma (t - v\,x / c^2) \quad \gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}.$$

and formally take the limit as c -> infinity, we find that it reduces to the familiar non-relativsitc transform

$$x' = x - v\,t \quad t' = t$$

More generally, it's known that the Lorentz transform and the Galilean transform (which can be regarded as the formal limit of the former as c -> infinity as I just argued) are the only solutions compatible with the principle of relativity, which I'd describe as saying that there is no "special" preferred frame of reference. The arguments which show this are based on group theory, which informally I'd describe as resulting from the assumption that there is a description of physics in any frame of reference one chooses, and a 1:1 mapping between frames of reference.

Possibly if you were willing to violate the principle of relativity you could find alternatives, such as the Mansouri-Sexl test theories. I'd describe these theories as still having "ultimate velocities", but the ultimate velocities would be frame-dependent in such theories.

1. What is "No Ultimate Speed: Exploring Relativistic Effects"?

"No Ultimate Speed: Exploring Relativistic Effects" is a scientific concept that explores the effects of relativistic speeds on objects. It is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative speeds.

2. How does relativistic speed affect time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are not absolute, but are relative to an observer's frame of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for the observer and distances appear to shorten. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the speed of light and why is it considered the ultimate speed?

The speed of light, denoted by "c", is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is considered the ultimate speed because according to Einstein's theory of relativity, no object can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

4. How have scientists tested and confirmed the effects of relativity?

Scientists have conducted various experiments to test the predictions of relativity, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment. They have also used advanced technologies, such as atomic clocks and particle accelerators, to measure time dilation and length contraction in moving objects.

5. What are some practical applications of relativity?

Relativity has many practical applications, such as GPS systems, which use time dilation to accurately calculate the position of objects on Earth. It also helps in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, which is crucial in fields like particle physics. Moreover, relativity has also led to the development of new theories, such as quantum mechanics, which have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.