1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would this be a problem ?

Tags:
  1. May 11, 2014 #1
    Engineering to Physics and GPA

so heres the thing
    i am an industrial engineering student from india studying in one of the top 5 colleges down here (NIT only next to IIT's). I had an accident and was hospitalized during one of my semester and wasnt able to finish a particular subject credits (a non physics subject) and now i am going to my final year and would most probably finish it by the end of my final year. because of which my GPA in that semester is currently '0' ( they calculate gpa only when all the credits has been completed) . i would need to apply for my universities by end of december by then i still wouldnt be completing it as the professor would let me take test only during next February and my GPA for that semmister would still be 0.

Would this be a hindrance for my application ? should i mention them this issue or should i calculate my GPA leaving that subject alone ?

My profile as of now -
    2 Journal articles in physics (general relativity)
    4 Projects in physics (2 summer and 2 winter projects) (general relativity and Quantum mechanics)
    1 Statistical Math Project
    1 project to mathematically model product life cycle (used physics model for solving industrial engineering problems)
    1 conference (this summer)
    1 Lecture course by Prof michael berry (this summer)

Over all GPA now in indian system = 7.2/10
    Gre yet to take

And do i have any good chance for middle tier universities ? and what would be a good set of probably universities i should apply to ?

Please do help me out

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2
    Obviously you should recalculate the GPA without that subject.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    thanks for the reply .yea i know i should, but would that be a red mark on the application ?

5. May 11, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know much about the Indian university system (except that there seems to be a lot of competition for places) but the basic fact is that you haven't done one course that you could have done. That may be less important because it's a non physics course, but it's still a fact.

In an ideal world you would probably calculate your grade as if you had never taken the course at all, but that still means you have done one less course than other applicants. If there were 110 applicants for 100 places, that probably doesn't matter much. If there are 1100 applicants for 100 places, it might matter more.

6. May 11, 2014 #5
    But isn't he going to take it later?

7. May 11, 2014 #6
    @alephzero as yellow flash said, yes i am going to take the course(by june or July) before my masters as i need to finish all courses to get my undergrad certificate, but just not before applying for grad school (around december maybe?)
    and it is not like am postponing it due to pressure, it is just that i wasnt able to attend lectures as i was hospitalized

And lol yea there is tough competition in india. to get into the college i am doing my under grad, you got to be in the top 20 thousand ranks among 1 million students in the entrance exam.

8. May 11, 2014 #7
    I think you still should briefly tell them of your extenuating circumstances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook