1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would this be a suitable path for gaining the maths knowledge to study GR?

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    The attached PDF shows an analysis sequence of books on the left. If I followed the sequence all the way to differential geometry, would I be prepared to study the subject of general relativity? Also, would it be feasible to skip the real analysis books or would they be required as well? Eventually I would read them, as it's all interesting to me, but would it be required for GR?

I only recently became interested in the subject; reading Sean Carroll's lecture notes on the subject is what got me hooked. It appears like there is a lot of beautiful maths behind the subject itself. Another question I have is whether or not I will need any other physics background to study GR or if the maths will be enough?

Also, yet another question, to study QM, would this be good enough or would I also have to study Lie algebras and groups?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted