Chaotic Mass Suspension: Exploring Spring Configurations in a Box

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chaotic
In summary: I&filter=0&btnI&q=can%27t+a+mass+and+springs+be+chaotic&btnG It looks fairly chaotic in a simulation.
houlahound
I have never seen a problem as such;

A mass in the isocentre of a box. The springs are identical unstretched length, they are attached to the walls maximally distant from each other.

The mass is suspended from springs attached to the walls of the box.What is the least number of springs to have a chaotic response of the mass?

No reason why here, just thinking of building something like this to see what happens. I think it would be cool to watch and then use odd numbers of different springs, attachment points etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
.Ffirst one should define what "chaotic response" is. I mean mathematical definition, not bla-bla-bla

Likes russ_watters
zwierz said:
Ffirst one should define what "chaotic response" is. I mean mathematical definition, not bla-bla-bla

So tell us what you think the mathematical definition is .

Likes davenn
I don't think the motion will be anything you'd call chaotic if the springs are Hookean.

Likes russ_watters, boneh3ad and Nidum
Nidum said:
So tell us what you think the mathematical definition is .
for which purpose? in dynamical systems the standards of mathematical rigor are very well known by mathematical community. If such a question arises then it is early to study dynamical chaos and one should take a course of math.analysis first

Last edited:
I just mean aperiodic motion of the mass. May not be technical chaos.

houlahound said:
I just mean aperiodic motion of the mass. May not be technical chaos.

Even a mass that oscillates independently in the x and y directions (i.e. the potential energy is of the form ##\frac{1}{2}k_x x^2 + \frac{1}{2}k_y y^2## with no cross terms) moves only quasiperiodically if the two angular frequencies ##\sqrt{\frac{k_i}{m}}## are incommensurable real numbers. But this is not what chaos means.

K, then repeating same starting conditions would lead to different trajectories?

ie; the system would be so sensitive to starting conditions repeatability would be lost - chaotic?

houlahound said:
K, then repeating same starting conditions would lead to different trajectories?

ie; the system would be so sensitive to starting conditions repeatability would be lost - chaotic?

That doesn't have anything to do with periodicity or lack thereof. A system that consists of coupled Hookean oscillators is never chaotic in that sense as far as I know, but it still doesn't have to move periodically.

If a single spring has a fixed resting point, then the x motion and y motion are completely separable
##H = kd^2 = k(x-x_0)^2 + k(y-y_0)^2##
But, if the spring pivot can rotate, it couples x and y in a complicated way, because there isn't a resting point ##(x_0, y_0)## but rather a resting circle ##(x-x_p)^2 + (y-y_p)^2 = r^2##

It looks fairly chaotic in a simulation.
https://www.myphysicslab.com/springs/2d-spring/2d-spring-en.html

Oh, the sim also includes gravity. I guess without gravity, it isn't chaotic.

1. What is chaotic mass suspension?

Chaotic mass suspension is a scientific experiment that involves exploring the behavior of a system of masses suspended by springs inside a closed box. The goal of this experiment is to understand how different spring configurations affect the chaotic motion and stability of the system.

2. How does the experiment work?

In this experiment, a box is filled with a set of masses attached to springs, which are suspended from the top of the box. The box is then subjected to vibrations, causing the masses to move in a chaotic manner. The behavior of the masses is recorded and analyzed to determine the effects of different spring configurations.

3. What are the potential applications of this experiment?

The chaotic mass suspension experiment has various potential applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can help in understanding the behavior of complex systems, designing more efficient spring configurations, and studying the movement of particles in microgravity environments.

4. What are some variables that can affect the results of the experiment?

Some variables that can affect the results of the experiment include the stiffness and length of the springs, the mass of the suspended particles, and the amplitude and frequency of the vibrations. These variables can be controlled and manipulated to observe their impact on the chaotic motion of the system.

5. What are some potential future research directions for this experiment?

Future research in this area could involve exploring the effects of different box geometries, adding external forces to the system, or studying the behavior of multiple systems interacting with each other. Additionally, this experiment could also be applied to study the dynamics of other physical systems, such as the movement of molecules or celestial bodies.