1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would transferring be worth it?

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    I am going back to school to finish a degree in physics. I go to a tier 2 state school in the midwest, and was planning on transferring to the bigger tier 1 school in the same state (has more funding, bigger physics department). I figured having my degree from there would look better and help me get into grad school.

My worry, however, is that I wouldn't be there long enough to get any decent letters of recommendation for REUs, etc. I would only have 1 semester at the bigger school before applications for summer research would be due, and I don't think this would be enough time for anyone to accurately evaluate my work and ability. So, would transferring be worth it? If I do transfer, I would have access to more diverse classes and more professors doing more research, but at the cost of not really knowing anybody and a larger department means more competition.

After reading my own post here, I am kind of leaning towards not transferring, but I know it is wise to consult others and receive some guidance. Thanks for your time, guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2
    as long as you can do research at your school now, and get to work on letters of rec, etc. the school you're at now should be fine . . .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook