Supernova 100,000 Light Years Away: Agree on Time?

In summary, the supernova happened sooner to the spaceship's perspective than to the Earth's perspective due to the Lorentz transformation.
Vampyr
If on Earth we detect the light from a supernova 100,000 light years away, we can say that the supernova happened 100,000 years ago (ignoring any dust etc. that might slow down the light). However, would all observers agree that the event happened 100,000 years ago? If a spaceship was traveling in the direction of the supernova at 0.99c at the same distance as the Earth, what would they see?

By my thinking, they see light still traveling at c, and they observe no difference in their own clock. However, they would see the distance to the supernova Lorentz contracted. Since the light traveled a shorter distance from the spaceship's perspecitive, the supernova happened sooner from the spaceship's perspective than the Earth's perspective. I.e. the spaceship sees the supernova less than 100,000 light years away but no other changes that offset this.

Is my thinking correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, draw a spacetime diagram {t,x} indicating the rest frame of the supernova and earth, neglecting the expansion of space. Put the Earth in its origin. Now introduce a second observer moving with v w.r.t. earth, having a frame {t',x'} with t=t'=0 coinciding. Let the supernova explode at t=-T. What is T'?

Depends what you mean. Your reasoning is correct if you want to ask where the supernova remnant is now using the spaceship's frame. But the explosion itself happened in the past and the star/remnant is moving very fast in this frame, so was a lot further away when it went off.

It's much safer to use the Lorentz transforms than the special cases of length contraction and time dilation.

Vampyr said:
If on Earth we detect the light from a supernova 100,000 light years away, we can say that the supernova happened 100,000 years ago (ignoring any dust etc. that might slow down the light). However, would all observers agree that the event happened 100,000 years ago? If a spaceship was traveling in the direction of the supernova at 0.99c at the same distance as the Earth, what would they see?

By my thinking, they see light still traveling at c, and they observe no difference in their own clock. However, they would see the distance to the supernova Lorentz contracted. Since the light traveled a shorter distance from the spaceship's perspecitive, the supernova happened sooner from the spaceship's perspective than the Earth's perspective. I.e. the spaceship sees the supernova less than 100,000 light years away but no other changes that offset this.

Is my thinking correct?
Relativity is not about the delay in light (or other) signals reaching an observer. That has no bearing on the time of an event in a reference frame. To obtain the time of the event in the spaceship frame you must use the Lorentz Transformation.

Vampyr said:
Is my thinking correct?

No, because you're leaving out relativity of simultaneity. You cannot correctly analyze any relativity problem using length contraction and time dilation if you ignore relativity of simultaneity. Or, you could take the advice @Ibix gave in post #3 and just use the Lorentz transformations instead, since that automatically takes everything into account.

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is an astronomical event that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and explodes, releasing an enormous amount of energy and creating a bright, visible explosion in space.

2. How far away is the supernova 100,000 light years?

The supernova is located 100,000 light years away, which means that the light from the explosion took 100,000 years to reach us here on Earth.

3. How do scientists agree on the time of the supernova?

Scientists use various methods to determine the time of a supernova, including observing the light emitted from the explosion and analyzing the elements present in the remnants of the explosion.

4. Why is it significant that the supernova is 100,000 light years away?

The distance of the supernova is significant because it allows scientists to study the explosion in detail without being affected by its energy and radiation. It also provides insight into the evolution and life cycle of stars.

5. Is there any danger to Earth from a supernova 100,000 light years away?

No, there is no danger to Earth from a supernova 100,000 light years away. The explosion is too far away to have any impact on our planet, and the energy and radiation from the explosion would have dissipated over such a long distance.