Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you buy a used car from the Speaker of the House?

1. Aug 8, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did anyone see this joker - Rep. Dennis Hastert, (R-Ill.), Speaker of the House - on Meet the Press this morning? Holy snake oil salesman Batman!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5640412/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

And would you ride in a used car driven by The Honorable Ted Kennedy?

4. Aug 8, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, Tsunami did!

5. Aug 8, 2004 #4

Janitor

Science Advisor

And she lived to tell the tale!

6. Aug 8, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well...she's a good swimmer. :biggrin:

Ooooh that was bad.

7. Aug 8, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So if we are to stay current, and I'm not talking river currents, I find the speaker downright scary. God save the President and Vice President! Now that's something I never thought I'd say until next November.

8. Aug 8, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or by the Strong and Determined President Bush ?

At least we know what happened with Teddy...but nobody knows about Bush's Texas Driving Records because they've been vanished. :bugeye: We only know about his DUI in Maine, where he was not Governor. :eek:

9. Aug 8, 2004 #8

kat

Lol, nor do we know about Teddy's DUI's...mainly because he's a kennedy. We do know somewhat about his DUI in Senate...that DUI as in Debating under the influence HAHAHAHA I crack myself up.

Anyway, I'd buy one from the speaker of the house before I'd buy one for Kerry...and if I bought one from Clinton..I'd have to have the back seat steam cleaned HO HO HO!

10. Aug 8, 2004 #9
    We sure do. The honorable Kennedy Clan called in some IOU's and their drunken lush embarrassment avoided a manslaughter charge.

Ivan, are you asking a question or are you making a political statement from your wobbly soap box?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  11. Aug 9, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was just an observation for you to view through your rosy colored glasses.

I know a snake when I see one.

12. Aug 9, 2004 #11
    I read the article, and I am not sure what the hoopla is about Dennis Hastert's comments. Anyone?

13. Aug 9, 2004 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

He bumbles a bit about drug laws and the selection of Alan Keyes as a senate nominee for Illinois, but other than that, he sounds like a pretty smart guy. He has an especially keen grasp of economics that Tim Russert doesn't seem to have. What's the problem? Did he look sleezy?

14. Aug 10, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. 30 frames a second speaks volumes.

It really helps to actually watch and listen to the people that you support. Reading only provides one dimension of perspective.

15. Aug 10, 2004 #14
    Then why did you post the link?

So did Hastert act crazed, a la Michael Moore?

16. Aug 10, 2004 #15
    I watched it. This was the first interview that I saw of Hastert. I remember thinking that he came off as completely unbelievable and extremely "sneaky" looking. His eyes never looked at ohers, but were positioned in a way, I can't think of a word to describe it, that I associate with untrustworthiness.

He made many disingenuous comments, such as this one. Although I will not dispute this statement, I consider that it is far MORE true in the case of the Republicans. In other words, while stating a truth, he is being deceiving and attempting to hide a greater truth.

I did not get a good impression of this guy in this interview. His tone of voice, his facial expression, and his body movements were extremely unappealing to me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  17. Aug 10, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because I can't post the video tape?

18. Aug 10, 2004 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

All right, you guys are going to have to clarify here, because this is really coming across as if you would rather judge a politician based on the way he looks than the way he thinks.

19. Aug 11, 2004 #18
    Maybe Dennis was giving off N-Rays while speaking. Damned if I know.

20. Aug 11, 2004 #19
    Sounds like Bill Clinton. Did Dennis also shed a tear to indicate passion and sympathy, or has his phoniness worked his way up to that level yet?

That is merely a matter of opinion.

Heh. Body movements... as in finger wagging. "I did not have sex with that woman." Heh.

21. Aug 13, 2004 #20
    I did not realize that you are a first name basis with Dennis.

Excellent manuever. By contrasting every point with your perceived faults of Bill Clinton, we are sure to come to the obvious conclusion that "Dennis" is really a wonderful guy after all.

Everything is this forum is a matter of opinion. You are certainly free to think the world of "Dennis". You should not expect that all people as up on the issues as you obviously are must necessarily like him as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?