Would you buy a used swimsuit?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, if you would buy it, you would buy it because you like it and the price. If it's vintage, and they don't make them anymore, you just have to set your mind that it's vintage and clean.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There's a really cute one on e-bay at a really good price. But I am hesitating because something about wearing a 2nd hand swimsuit (even after I wash it 3 times first) gives me the willies.

Physics news on Phys.org
they probably rent bathing suits at some hotels, motels, and resorts...

if you would buy it, would you buy it because you like it, and/or the price?

if its vintage, and they don't make them anymore, you just have to set your mind that its vintage and clean...

my, my, my...

and I thought you weren't the eBay type for some reason...

my, my, my...

Must be a girl thing.

Emo Philips: What did YOU get for Christmas?
I got new underwear!
Well, new to me...

You can soak it in Dettol overnight :smile:

or, soak it in 97% sulfuric acid

or just hang it on the wall, like a piece of art

Dont buy used swim suits!

The best possible scenario for buying used swimsuits is death.

Try and find it in a store, online or something.

Not worn by allergic person .. no problem.

I've borrowed friends' swimsuits before when I had forgotten mine. Curious enough, I would not feel as comfortable using a stranger's suit. I can't explain that either.

Math Is Hard said:
There's a really cute one on e-bay at a really good price. But I am hesitating because something about wearing a 2nd hand swimsuit (even after I wash it 3 times first) gives me the willies.

Buy it if you really fancy it, and boil it for several hours :P

How, exactly, was it used?

lisab said:
Really! If it was used only once during a Sports Illustrated shoot, buy it, never wash it, and put it back up for sale with provenance. Ka-Ching!

turbo-1 said:
Really! If it was used only once during a Sports Illustrated shoot, buy it, never wash it, and put it back up for sale with provenance. Ka-Ching!

This post is pure genius. Turbo man, you own.:approve:

I've gone commando is second-hand pants before, so it's almost the same...I wouldn't care if I were you.

lisab said:

I was wondering the same. You might ask though whether or not you will get a straight answer from a seller who will guess your apprehension who knows.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I was wondering the same. You might ask though whether or not you will get a straight answer from a seller who will guess your apprehension who knows.

Let's see...

The ebay seller says

"...gently worn once for a Sports Illustrated photo shoot by a supermodel with crabs, herpes, chlamydia, and a yeast infection. No rips, tears, or stains."

I think I'll pass.

Now it is starting to sound like a craigslist ad.

MotoH said:
Now it is starting to sound like a craigslist ad.

:rofl:

This question is actually more difficult than it appears. It's akin, I guess, to would you buy used underwear? One knows, intellectually, once the garment has been washed, that there's no tangible reason not to wear the thing.

But my best friend once loaned my favourite and very expensive bathing suit to a friend of hers (who evidently had no issues with this sort of thing) so they could go to the beach together. That it was done without my permission didn't help matters; that I couldn't stand the woman also didn't help matters either; and when I found out about it, I told said individual to just keep the thing. No matter what, I wasn't going to wear it again. The idea squicked me out entirely.

So.

What's interesting is that as I look through the postings, some of the swimsuits are modeled on mannequins, or laid out flat, and then some are modeled by people (presumably the owners). The ones displayed on people, touching their flesh, are much more squicky to me.

Most diseases are in fact very hard to transmit. Herpes, HIV, and I think most common STD's cannot survive when dried. I imagine that crabs crawl away. :smile: You are probably safe.

On the other hand, I would never buy and wear someone else's used swimsuit, or underwear, or deodorant. It's some kind of personal space thing.

Math Is Hard said:
What's interesting is that as I look through the postings, some of the swimsuits are modeled on mannequins, or laid out flat, and then some are modeled by people (presumably the owners). The ones displayed on people, touching their flesh, are much more squicky to me.

doorhandles in public places, silverware and glasses for beverages in just about all restaurants, sheets and blankets in every hotel and motel, dentist's tools, etc.

rewebster said:
doorhandles in public places, silverware and glasses for beverages in just about all restaurants, sheets and blankets in every hotel and motel, dentist's tools, etc.
:bugeye: What are you doing with your unmentionables and the silverware/beverages in restaurants?!? Dentist tools??!? rewebster, you are scaring me.:eek:

Dembadon said:
:bugeye: What are you doing with your unmentionables and the silverware/beverages in restaurants?!? Dentist tools??!? rewebster, you are scaring me.:eek:

We all should have a PF gathering at some nudist park sometime

rewebster said:

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kexMnMxN3U".

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.iamboredr.com/media/21230/Girl_Licks_a_Hotel_Room/" [Broken]

MotoH said:

Great. Just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfMvZCR7-wI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfMvZCR7-wI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rewebster said:

I'll be sure to not leave my utensils unattended. :wink:

MotoH said:

Horrific!

Guys will never have used underwear to sell because when a guy is done with underwear there is only the some of the elastic band and maybe some miscellaneous threads left.

I bought 12 bowls at Goodwill for $4.99 - they can be sterilized - I'll pass on the "speedo".

sas3 said:
Guys will never have used underwear to sell because when a guy is done with underwear there is only the some of the elastic band and maybe some miscellaneous threads left.

That is a VERY good point.

sas3 said:

Quoted for truth.

rewebster said:

Hvar, Croatia if you ask me.

It is even better idea than you think - you can save on a swimsuit, so there is no problem wether to buy new or used.

what do you need a swim suit for? i just swim in my underwear.

<h2>1. Can a used swimsuit be sanitized enough to be safe to wear?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to sanitize a used swimsuit to make it safe to wear. The best way to do this is to wash the swimsuit in hot water with a disinfectant detergent and then dry it in direct sunlight. This will help kill any bacteria or viruses that may be present on the swimsuit.</p><h2>2. Are there any health risks associated with buying a used swimsuit?</h2><p>There is a potential for health risks when buying a used swimsuit, as it may have come into contact with someone else's bodily fluids or skin conditions. However, if the swimsuit is properly sanitized and cleaned, the risk of any health issues is greatly reduced.</p><h2>3. How do I know if a used swimsuit is in good condition?</h2><p>When buying a used swimsuit, it is important to carefully inspect it for any signs of wear and tear, such as frayed edges or stretched out fabric. You should also check for any stains or discoloration that may not come out with washing. If the swimsuit appears to be in good condition, it should be safe to wear.</p><h2>4. Is it better to buy a new or used swimsuit?</h2><p>It ultimately depends on personal preference and budget. Buying a new swimsuit ensures that it has not been worn by anyone else and is in perfect condition. However, buying a used swimsuit can be more cost-effective and environmentally friendly. Just make sure to properly sanitize it before wearing.</p><h2>5. Can I return a used swimsuit if it doesn't fit or I change my mind?</h2><p>It is unlikely that you will be able to return a used swimsuit, as most stores have strict return policies for hygiene reasons. It is important to carefully consider your purchase before buying a used swimsuit and ask any questions you may have about the item beforehand.</p>

1. Can a used swimsuit be sanitized enough to be safe to wear?

Yes, it is possible to sanitize a used swimsuit to make it safe to wear. The best way to do this is to wash the swimsuit in hot water with a disinfectant detergent and then dry it in direct sunlight. This will help kill any bacteria or viruses that may be present on the swimsuit.

2. Are there any health risks associated with buying a used swimsuit?

There is a potential for health risks when buying a used swimsuit, as it may have come into contact with someone else's bodily fluids or skin conditions. However, if the swimsuit is properly sanitized and cleaned, the risk of any health issues is greatly reduced.

3. How do I know if a used swimsuit is in good condition?

When buying a used swimsuit, it is important to carefully inspect it for any signs of wear and tear, such as frayed edges or stretched out fabric. You should also check for any stains or discoloration that may not come out with washing. If the swimsuit appears to be in good condition, it should be safe to wear.

4. Is it better to buy a new or used swimsuit?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and budget. Buying a new swimsuit ensures that it has not been worn by anyone else and is in perfect condition. However, buying a used swimsuit can be more cost-effective and environmentally friendly. Just make sure to properly sanitize it before wearing.

5. Can I return a used swimsuit if it doesn't fit or I change my mind?

It is unlikely that you will be able to return a used swimsuit, as most stores have strict return policies for hygiene reasons. It is important to carefully consider your purchase before buying a used swimsuit and ask any questions you may have about the item beforehand.