Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you drink this?

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

People have been doing just that. The problem is that its an all purpose cleaning agent.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2
    Who's been drinking this without reading the label?!

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    It looks like grape kool aid. Dont think you would catch me drinking nething goofy looking like that without reading the label. Some all purpose cleaners do have a quite pleasant smell to them though!

5. Sep 28, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not to mention that it would taste like soap.

6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    And perhaps after they did taste it, they would spit it out... I hope.

7. Sep 28, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In one case, the daughter accidently put it in the fridge. Later, her mother came along without her glasses on and thought it was grape juice. Luckily it just makes you sick. But the manufacturer refuses to consider changing the packaging. I'll bet a few lawyers will eventually take care of that problem. :rofl:

8. Sep 28, 2005 #7
    Does it have alcohol in it? Ive heard of alcoholics carrying lysol bottles around and drinking from them.

9. Sep 28, 2005 #8

Evo

Who would drink more than one swallow? Who would even swallow it ?

The bottle is Fabuloso though. :biggrin:

10. Sep 28, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, but these were cases of accidental consumption.

11. Sep 28, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently the taste is bland enough that people swallow it before realizing that something is very wrong.

12. Sep 28, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would think that if you bought the stuff, you'd know you picked it up in the cleanser aisle, not the beverages aisle. Maybe the manufacturer has something against illiterate people. It does look like one of those weird fruit drink bottles, but I'd avoid drinking anything that purple even if someone swore to me it was juice (I don't like grape juice anyway).

13. Sep 28, 2005 #12
    Some people are stupid i guess. I can understand an infant getting into it because it was not stored away safely. But perhaps because the shape is similar to a bottle for spring water from a retail store, sumone thought it was a beverage!

14. Sep 28, 2005 #13

Evo

It's in the Hispanic soap isle at my store.

15. Sep 28, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have an Hispanic soap aisle? Is Hispanic soap different from other kinds of soap? :confused:

16. Sep 28, 2005 #15

Evo

Yeah, they're all cleaning products from Mexico, for the migrant workers, I guess. The labels are written in Spanish. If you could read the label, it's in Spanish. It's odd because we don't really have an hispanic population here.

17. Sep 28, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, the picture of the bottle is clearer at Colgate's site:
    http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/...ulosoEarlyMorning_223&cid=GoogleCorp_fabuloso

Umm...don't you think the mop and bucket on the label would give it away? Or the scent? I assume the purple one is the lavender scent...to me, lavender smells like soap (I love the smell, but it's definitely not something I'd want to drink...I have a lavender scented cleanser for my kitchen too that I bought to keep it really fresh smelling when I was selling my previous house). The blue one is ocean fresh, which who knows what it smells like, but I'm sure it's not a drinkable smell. There's a green called "early morning" and a yellow that's lemon. I've never yet run into a lemon cleaner that actually smells enough like lemon to mistake it for something drinkable either.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with blimkie, it seems some people are just stupid.

18. Sep 28, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's too funny. Even if you did have an hispanic population, I can't see why they wouldn't just be among the other cleansers, maybe at one end so they would be easier to find for people who want labels in spanish. Segregation for cleansers. :rofl:

19. Sep 28, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Screw lawyers, if you're stupid enough to drink this stuff without looking at the bottle (or realizing that your grape juice was somehow in the household cleaning isle at the store) then you should be sick :D

20. Sep 28, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, wait just a minute here! There's something really fishy going on here. I opened up a bunch of links when I was searching for a better picture of the product and as I was closing them, noticed this one at a Mexican grocer's site:
    http://www.mexgrocer.com/7216.html

Notice the label is different! No mop and broom. And now that I look back up at the picture in Ivan's post, I see it's this version of it. Seems they were worried about lawyers for the English speakers but not the hispanic population! :surprised

Edit: What the hey?! I also just noticed that at the grocery, it's advertised as a laundry soap, and at Colgate's site, it's listed as an all-purpose cleaner (nothing about laundry). Is this or is this not the same product? :bugeye:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  21. Sep 28, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe they changed formula or something. I've seen labels getting subtle changes every once in a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?