Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Would you eat insects

1. Jun 12, 2017 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think this is purely a mental issue. I really do not see why (on a pure technical level) it would be less disgusting to eat shrimp than insects. Both have several pairs of legs and an exoskeleton. Insects are also consumed in many cultures.

Would I eat them? If given a choice, probably not. But I am going to attribute that to my upbringing regarding "what is food."

4. Jun 12, 2017 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly (both of your points)

5. Jun 12, 2017 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Agree with both of your points. Indeed, insects are consumed in many cultures. In Japan, for example, bee larvae (hachinoko in Japanese) is served in pubs the way beer nuts are served. Also in addition, zazamushi (a catch-all phrase of aquatic insect larvae) are served in Japan as well.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/28864/6-odd-things-eaten-japan

6. Jun 12, 2017 #5

wolram

Gold Member

The Japanese will eat any thing that once moved including dogs:eek:

7. Jun 12, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would this be so peculiar? We eat many mammals.

Also, it is not only Asians that eat insects and other strange things. In Italy you have the casu marzu cheese ...

8. Jun 12, 2017 #7
    Isn't that the chinese?

To answer the question. I probably would to be honest. I've seen other mexicans eat crickets, by the look of it, they are quite tasty.

9. Jun 12, 2017 #8

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everyone does:
    Read the FDA Defect Levels Handbook for more enlightenment.

But more seriously, I don't understand why people only think of eating whole insects. You could served them in some kind of paste, cooked with appropriate seasonings. I'm not sure that anyone would just sink their teeth in a dead cow like a savage animal.

10. Jun 12, 2017 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

wolram, you're confusing with the Chinese! (the Koreans and Vietnamese were also known to eat dog meat. The Japanese never have, as far as I know -- the Japanese are notorious for eating whale meat instead).

I'm half-Japanese, btw :biggrin:

11. Jun 12, 2017 #10

wolram

Gold Member

My bad, I suppose that eating insects in some kind of protein bar would not be so bad, just so long as the ingredients were not included.

12. Jun 12, 2017 #11
    If you eat grubs don't chew them. Swallowed whole is much less likely to make your vomit.

On a side note, if you're going very far from the main highways in a wilderness area it's a good idea to have an emergency kit that includes tips on indigenous comestibles. Don't bother digging into it until you need it. You'll forget most of it quickly anyway.

13. Jun 12, 2017 #12

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Apparently, toasted chili-lime grasshoppers (known as chapulines in Mexico) are one of the most popular snacks sold at the Seattle Mariners baseball stadium: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...selling-toasted-grasshoppers-concession-stand

14. Jun 12, 2017 #13

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

For US members:
    Since this is GD, and I do not want to dig through USDA information for a citation, that is craftily hidden (my opinion) from the public, I'll simply mention:
    When flour is sampled as a commodity, there a non-zero tolerance limit for frass (bug poop) and insect body fragments. In other words, your Wonder bread could contain some very tiny fraction of some bug's anatomy or eggs as well as his leavings. Same goes for strore bought commercial white flour. This is one reason why flour stored for long periods in a closed vessel develops what people call 'weevils' - the eggs become adult flour eating insects. Kind of like being born in your personal McDonald's.

:smile:

15. Jun 12, 2017 #14

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The main reason some people or groups do not eat "insects" is that they are too small, too hard to remove the exoskeleton to get to the good parts, too much trouble to separate the waste-matter from the good parts. Lobster and shrimp and craw-dads - they are just big insects. I would eat smaller insects, as long as they are cooked!

16. Jun 13, 2017 #15

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Don't products like spices, grains and lettuce contain bits of insects as impurities?

17. Jun 13, 2017 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Their exoskeletons and their waste products are consumed/eaten without being noticed.

18. Jun 14, 2017 #17

BillTre

Science Advisor

I have eaten a variety of insects in a variety of ways.

The most interesting was eating some locusts that a guy from Thailand, who worked in a locust neurobiology lab down the hall, cooked up at a party with a bunch of spices. The locusts took up the spice flavor (like tofu). Certain parts like the tarsi (their feet) were rather crunchy.

I have a friend who was in the Air Force Academy and took their survival course where they had them eating lots of kinds of insects in the desert.

19. Jun 14, 2017 #18
    It's the texture that would get me. That's my problem with crab, even.
    It's not always possible to get all the bits of exoskeleton.
    I'll take the lab grown meat instead, thanks.

20. Jun 14, 2017 #19
    There is a federally mandated maximum amount of roach allowed in alcohol beverages sold to the US public. It's not enforced very often.

21. Jun 14, 2017 #20

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Strictly speaking, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, and similar aren't insects, as insects are hexapods (six legs) instead of the ten legs that crabs and lobsters have.

In addition to insects and other arthropods and crustaceans that are eaten, snails are considered a delicacy in French cuisine (I've eaten them a couple of times and enjoyed them), but for some reason, people don't ordinarily eat slugs, which are very prevalent where I live, and grow as large as 8 or 9 inches in size. I'm not sure why snails are different from slugs, other than slugs don't have a shell.

I've also enjoyed eating a lot of oysters (including many of them raw) and mussels and clams.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted