Would You Exist If No One Was There To Observe You?

• Thread starter E=mc^84
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation highlights the importance of adequately fleshing out questions and arguments in the philosophy forums by defining key terms, justifying the validity of the issue, stating starting premises, providing support, making logical steps explicit, summarizing previous arguments, and providing proper justification for contentious claims. Failure to do so can lead to confusion and moderator intervention.
E=mc^84

Think about this one and let me know what you guys/girls think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the Philosophy Forum guidelines here before posting. This post does not meet our guidelines.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47294

In general, one should attempt to flesh out questions and arguments in the philosophy forums adequately enough that readers will have a good understanding of the problem, the backdrop against which it resides, and the justification of one's perspective. This might include

* explicitly defining key terms;
* justifying why this is a valid issue or problem in the first place;
* explicitly stating starting premises or assumptions;
* providing logical or empirical support for such premises or assumptions;
* making subtle logical steps more explicit;
* summarizing previous arguments made on the topic and explaining how they are relevant to your argument;
* etc.

In particular, please make a concerted effort to adequately define key terms whose meaning might otherwise be ambiguous and to provide proper justification for any claims that might be contentious. Doing so will go a long way towards stimulating productive discussion, whereas failure to do so will inevitably lead to lots of confusion, wasted words, and effort, and ultimately to moderator intervention as outlined above.

1. How can I exist if no one is there to observe me?

This question delves into the concept of existence and perception. While it may seem logical to assume that our existence is dependent on our being observed, the reality is that our existence is not contingent on external observation. Our existence is a result of our own consciousness and individual experiences.

2. Does this mean that I am not real?

No, your existence is still valid and real even if there is no one to observe you. Your thoughts, feelings, and experiences are all real and valid, regardless of external observation. The fact that you are able to think and question your own existence is proof of your reality.

3. Can I exist in multiple places at once if no one is there to observe me?

While there may be theories about the possibility of existing in multiple places at once, the concept of existence in this context is limited to being conscious and aware of one's own existence. Therefore, without external observation, it is not possible to exist in multiple places at once.

4. How does this concept relate to the idea of the "observer effect" in science?

The observer effect in science refers to the idea that the act of observing a phenomenon can alter its behavior or outcome. However, this concept is not directly related to the question of existence without observation. The observer effect deals with the impact of observation on the phenomenon itself, while the question of existence without observation focuses on the individual's perception of their own existence.

5. Does this mean that reality is subjective?

The idea of existence without observation may lead to the belief that reality is subjective. However, while our perception of reality may be influenced by our individual experiences and consciousness, there are still objective truths and realities that exist independent of our observation. Therefore, while our perception of reality may be subjective, reality itself is not.