Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you go back in the water?

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1

SOS2008

Gold Member

Man fights off shark attack, keeps on surfing
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 3:58 a.m. ET April 17, 2005

Is this guy into surfing or what? What would you do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Something else. As else as possible. (Preferably shark-fishing with Mark 48 ADCAP's. :biggrin: )

4. Apr 20, 2005 #3
    they should lock him up for few years.

5. Apr 20, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The shark,right?

Daniel.

6. Apr 20, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Incredible! For one, sharks are territorial hunters so it probably stayed nearby. Next, a person on a surfboard looks like a seal or sea lion to a shark, so surfers are prime targets. Not to mention that the shark certainly knew he was there. Seems like a really bad choice to me. :yuck:

7. Apr 20, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Evolution In Action. :biggrin:

8. Apr 20, 2005 #7
    a 20 foot great white?!?!

That's a BIG shark.

They're usually like 12-15, IIRC.

9. Apr 20, 2005 #8

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is what I find surprising. I had heard that great whites weren't that aggressive towards humans and usually attacked with "test" bites.

10. Apr 20, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A minor correction, territorial may not be the right word. But they tend to stay in one area until the food is gone.

Not long after JAWS came out, a 20 foot great white was caught near Catalina Island, just of the Coast of Long Beach, California. I used to swim in those waters on fishing trips!

When we started going to Hawaii regularly and began learning about the area from the locals, one interesting lesson came from a lifelong fisherman. I asked him if they ever dove off the side of the boat for a dip. "NOT IN THE BLUE WATER!!!!" he roared. [blue water is the deep water off shore] Apparently, to a Hawaiian fisherman, this was an incredibly stupid question. "You're just bait out there", he explained.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  11. Apr 20, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are not what they're looking for, but at times, we'll do. But I believe that it is relatively common, as compared to the total number of attacks, to get bitten but not eaten.

12. Apr 20, 2005 #11

Again, a 20 foot shark is a monster. THe norm is 12-14. And jsut cause he tore the guy in half doesn't mean he swallowed. It was a BIG shark afterall.

Although, i suppose its a moot point really. Dead is dead, eaten or not.

13. Apr 20, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, most attacks involve smaller sharks. But at 20 feet, with a mouth as big around as a trash can, yep, even a love bite is bad news.

14. Apr 20, 2005 #13

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now that's what I call tough love. :redface:

15. Apr 20, 2005 #14
    Do sharks have natural predators? If so why not paint that natural predators eyes on the bottom of the board? Or just paint a big picture of Oprah on the bottom.

16. Apr 20, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

As far as I know, the only shark-eating creatures are people and giant squids. There aren't that many squids around, and the sharks obviously aren't terribly impressed by humans. Dolphins and porpoises kill them for fun or self-defense, but aren't really predators of them.

Good grief, man, are you nuts?! Think of the ecological repercussions. Even the coral reefs would pack up and leave.

17. Apr 20, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think sharks eat sharks.

18. Apr 20, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

True... definitely if one is wounded or something, but I don't think that they actually hunt each other.

19. Apr 20, 2005 #18
    how about killer whales and other bigger whales like sperm whale.sperm whale hunts giant squids so i guess when really hungry he would go for sharks.

20. Apr 20, 2005 #19
    Right on! Good to see that those aussies are not scared of a little shark. If I was surfing in Australia I would go back in the water too. I am not going to let some punk shark ruin my surfing vacation.

21. Apr 20, 2005 #20

Great Whites are apex predators.

i.e, other apex predators.

And mind you, these sharks eat the orcas too, if they can catch one alone. And sperm whales are DEEP water animals.

A dolphin could defend itself against other sharks, but not a Great White. Wouldn't stand a chance, short of swimming as fast as it could to get away. A normal great white is twice the size of a dolphin already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?