Would you like to live forever?

Do you want to live forever?

• Total voters
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
If there was a medically possible way to allow people to never die from natural deterioration and old age in general, would you be interested in taking it?

Answers and Replies

You can live forever by making a major positive impact on society. You don't have to be living to live forever.

Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I would say that there is a major experiential difference between those two takes on 'living forever'.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
You don't have to be living to live forever.
I think you're missing the point of living forever :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No, I think your missing my point.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think a normal lifespan is good. I picked other because that option wasn't allowed.

As long as there is no real suffering, I'm all good.

Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
The second last option was a normal lifespan....

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No, it doesn't.

It says...

No, but I would like to live longer than current expected lifespan
That's longer than expected.

Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
thats the third last option. The second last option says

No, I want to live out my natural lifespan and then die

Lisa!
Gold Member
Never! I'm more interested in dying sooner.(and I think commiting a suicide is more exciting!) :smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
You can live forever by making a major positive impact on society. You don't have to be living to live forever.

Couldn't agree more :!!) :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
cyrusabdollahi said:
I concur with this statement. 100 years or so is long enough.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Another God said:
thats the third last option. The second last option says
Yes, but my natural lifespan might be short.

So, I said a normal lifespan, which is like 80 years or so.

Another God said:
If there was a medically possible way to allow people to never die from natural deterioration and old age in general, would you be interested in taking it?
No one has ever lived to be a hundred years old without suffering a great deal of physical deterioration. I have to wonder what the psychological results of being able to live to even just that age in the body of a 25 year old would be. I can't even imagine if it would be good or bad, just that there would be a totally different dynamic to people's emotional development. As a 50 year old I can tell you that aging forces a more conservative attitude about everything on you. How would non-deteriortive aging be different? It would have to be, but I can't imagine the details of it, and there's no one who's been through it to ask.

anyone remember this?

"I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever." -- Miss Alabama 1994

I would like to live as long as I would wish to....

Lisa!
Gold Member
Partly kidding, I don't think it would be importat how long you live. In fact the quality is much more important and you know why I think of people who's done something great during their life (a great invention, theory) I feel they're still alive.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Never! I'm more interested in dying sooner.(and I think commiting a suicide is more exciting!) :smile:

my how existential, but I like it.

Much of my extended family has developed cancer within the last 5 years (6 of my great aunts and uncles), and they are all in their 80's. The way I see it right now is that if you're gonna live that long, you're kinda cheating the system, and something bad has to happen :tongue2:. They're all in good cheer though which is nice. I kinda wouldn't want to end up like that personally. Like Frank Drebbin says in The Naked Gun, "getting caught in the gears of a combine. Now thats the way I wanna go" ... --so true :smile:

Sorry to pull this out of the dark corners, but mutations in worms (C. elegans) say that it is possible to live half again as long as normal. Any takers?

I voted for other: I wish I was already dead.

Actually, it's just a joke, I don't really wish I was dead. I tend to follow through on my wishes, and that's how I differentiate between real wishes and random firings of the synapses. What I do wish is that my subscription to the NYT won't expire when I do. It would be enough if I could continue to read up on the foibles of my fellows after I cease to make my own mistakes.

Evo
Mentor
Sorry to pull this out of the dark corners, but mutations in worms (C. elegans) say that it is possible to live half again as long as normal. Any takers?
You're referring to studies done on telomeres?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're referring to studies done on telomeres?
Thats what I was thinking. I had heard a few months back about research on the lifespan of worms where they lived longer if their diet was restricted to about 60% (I think) of their normal calorie intake, yet the overall balance was still good. As with many of these things I can't remember where I read it. :grumpy:

dumbest gestalt bs i've ever heard.

Evo
Mentor
Thats what I was thinking. I had heard a few months back about research on the lifespan of worms where they lived longer if their diet was restricted to about 60% (I think) of their normal calorie intake, yet the overall balance was still good. As with many of these things I can't remember where I read it. :grumpy:
I had first seen this several years ago in this documentary on Scientific American Frontiers. http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm [Broken]

Wikipedia has a brief summary.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere#Extending_telomeres

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to live forever at 25 mainly because I would like to see where technology goes...and enjoy it without thinking of how good 2010 was.

Also, if you lived long enough to be alive during the apocolypse, even after the world was destroyed, would you still be alive even then? That would be disturbing.