Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you like to live forever?

1. Yes absolutely, however it is done I will take it.

15.6%
  2. Only if I was eternally at my prime physical age

37.8%
  3. No, but I would like to live longer than current expected lifespan

20.0%
  4. No, I want to live out my natural lifespan and then die

22.2%
  5. Other (give information)

4.4%
  1. Mar 1, 2006 #1

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

If there was a medically possible way to allow people to never die from natural deterioration and old age in general, would you be interested in taking it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2006 #2
    You can live forever by making a major positive impact on society. You don't have to be living to live forever.

4. Mar 1, 2006 #3

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I would say that there is a major experiential difference between those two takes on 'living forever'.

5. Mar 1, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think you're missing the point of living forever :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. Mar 1, 2006 #5
    No, I think your missing my point.

7. Mar 1, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think a normal lifespan is good. I picked other because that option wasn't allowed.

As long as there is no real suffering, I'm all good.

8. Mar 1, 2006 #7

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The second last option was a normal lifespan....

9. Mar 1, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't.

It says...

That's longer than expected.

10. Mar 1, 2006 #9

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

thats the third last option. The second last option says

11. Mar 1, 2006 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

Never! I'm more interested in dying sooner.(and I think commiting a suicide is more exciting!) :smile:

12. Mar 1, 2006 #11

Couldn't agree more :!!) :biggrin:

13. Mar 1, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I concur with this statement. 100 years or so is long enough.

14. Mar 1, 2006 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but my natural lifespan might be short.

So, I said a normal lifespan, which is like 80 years or so.

15. Mar 1, 2006 #14
    No one has ever lived to be a hundred years old without suffering a great deal of physical deterioration. I have to wonder what the psychological results of being able to live to even just that age in the body of a 25 year old would be. I can't even imagine if it would be good or bad, just that there would be a totally different dynamic to people's emotional development. As a 50 year old I can tell you that aging forces a more conservative attitude about everything on you. How would non-deteriortive aging be different? It would have to be, but I can't imagine the details of it, and there's no one who's been through it to ask.

16. Mar 1, 2006 #15
    anyone remember this?

17. Mar 1, 2006 #16
    I would like to live as long as I would wish to....

18. Mar 1, 2006 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

Partly kidding, I don't think it would be importat how long you live. In fact the quality is much more important and you know why I think of people who's done something great during their life (a great invention, theory) I feel they're still alive.:biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  19. Mar 2, 2006 #18

my how existential, but I like it.

Much of my extended family has developed cancer within the last 5 years (6 of my great aunts and uncles), and they are all in their 80's. The way I see it right now is that if you're gonna live that long, you're kinda cheating the system, and something bad has to happen :tongue2:. They're all in good cheer though which is nice. I kinda wouldn't want to end up like that personally. Like Frank Drebbin says in The Naked Gun, "getting caught in the gears of a combine. Now thats the way I wanna go" ... --so true :smile:

20. Sep 28, 2007 #19
    Sorry to pull this out of the dark corners, but mutations in worms (C. elegans) say that it is possible to live half again as long as normal. Any takers?

21. Sep 28, 2007 #20
    I voted for other: I wish I was already dead.

Actually, it's just a joke, I don't really wish I was dead. I tend to follow through on my wishes, and that's how I differentiate between real wishes and random firings of the synapses. What I do wish is that my subscription to the NYT won't expire when I do. It would be enough if I could continue to read up on the foibles of my fellows after I cease to make my own mistakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?