Would you like to live forever?

Do you want to live forever?

• Total voters
Only a matter of time before religion showed its face

The Elohim were reckoned to be capable of living for about 800-900 years, I'd call that a useful spell in which to do some research that would have a major positive impact on society.

I read somewhere that by altering one or two genetic sequences in our DNA, we could ourselves live for substantially longer than we currently do - I'd like to be able to find that article.

No-one and nothing should live forever. Everything has it's time and progress is underpinned by many things, one of them is birth and the new ideas that it brings; I can only envisage immortality fostering stagnation.

I'm not religious by the way, however I do believe that religion and science are rapidly converging and will eventually be indistinguishable from one another.

I'd just like to know my death-date ahead of time. If its a few hundred years in the future... great. If its only like 5, sure. Knowing when I end would empower me now, and I think that'd be pretty sweet. Then again, I'm the sort of person who'll read the last page of a book to see who makes it to the end.

In the words of Woody Allen

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

I would like to see the future. I would like to live.

In this case does 'live forever' mean never aging, or does it mean never able to be killed? That would drastically change my answer.

There are consequences to being immortal. If everyone were immortal then we would quickly become overpopulated. I could see a lottery being created to decide who lives or is killed. Who gets to use the resources and who doesn't? Do they feel hunger when they can't eat? Does their throat parch when they can't drink? Does the sun burn their skin or the cold freeze their fluids? Can they carry diseases? Imagine a world with suffering with no end.

If only one individual were immortal then how would they function in society? After a few decades friends and family would wonder why that person isn't getting any older. Then one day they would go in to get a driver's license or passport or some other legislation and would realize that you have to hide their age. All their friends and family die and they can't see their relatives without freaking them out. They could never draw public attention to themselves and would have to live a mediocre, anonymous, transient life. It would be a very lonely existence.

If society ever knew about someone that was immortal how would they react? Someone would try to kill them. If they couldn't be killed then some people would worship you. People would study them intensively. There would be no private life and possibly no public life either if the effect on society was too disturbing for the government. It could become a life of captivity and torture and insanity.

Or people might say, "Hey, there's my great great great grandfather. He's immortal." Then they go on about their business as if nothing happened, but I don't find that very likely. No thanks, I'll pass on immortality. I'm content to die.

Last edited:
yea, my curiosity gets the best of me so I'm gonna go with a yes. As much as Newton and Plato live on through their work... THINK OF ALL THEY'RE MISSING OUT!!!

computers, music, electricity, the internet, mouthwash, film, genetics, relativity, quantum physics, the moon landing, literature...

these things:

http://dankoifman.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/jimmy-dean-pancake-sausage-chocolate-chip-736804.jpg [Broken]

if there was a way to live forever (and stay physically and mentally healthy... or at least mentally), sing me up! ... the best way would be if there was a way to sleep through a few decades at a time and be woken up every 20 or so years, just to see what's up...

think of all we could miss: artificial intelligence, space travel, 3-boobed prostitutes from outer-space, world war three, Bono ending world poverty, deep-fried chocolate-covered pancake-wrapped sausages on a stick!!!!!

and if the future sucks you can always kill yourself... I mean, I don't think it's morally wrong if you're 350 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: