Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would You Live Forever?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
  2. No

21 vote(s)
  1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    If you had the chance, would you live forever... meaning that if you did choose yes, you would never die. You could never choose to die you would simply live forever.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    I'm not really sure, but I voted yes because I think I'd end up selecting that option. The possibility of ceasing to exist is difficult for me to fathom - I don't want non-existance even though it wouldn't matter logically if I didn't exist.
  4. Oct 28, 2004 #3
    Because i am a theist, i would rather spend eternity in eternal bliss rather than on Earth.
  5. Oct 28, 2004 #4
    If I couldn't self-destruct, then I wouldn't want immortality. If peace is something I know I can never have, then I can never have peace of mind knowing this.
  6. Oct 28, 2004 #5
    i wouldn't want to live forever because 1) i wouldnt want to live forever with loved ones just passing me by and 2) think of how many enemies you would suddenly have. people would either worship you or want to kill you because they'd think you're either jesus or satan living forever now in human form. :bugeye:
  7. Oct 28, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted no. If there was no way to ever choose to die, this planet could turn into a pretty miserable and lonely place, and there'd be no way out. I mean, it might be fun for the first 500 years or so, but once you seen and done everything and history starts to repeat itself for the 10th time, you'd probably get pretty bored with it.
  8. Oct 28, 2004 #7
    Back in the days when I was a kid, I used to ask my father this question. He would answer no because he would eventually get very tired of the world. I couldn't understand his choice, and even now, at 15, I still can't comprehend it fully.

I chose not to vote on this poll because I feel that the question should only be answered by people who have been in this world longer.
  9. Oct 29, 2004 #8
    oh Yesh! Why the heck doesn't everyone agree with me???? :)
  10. Oct 29, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I went with YES. I don't think I'll ever get bored. I'd also like the capabilities of a 25 year old for the rest of my eternal life - thanks !!

I'm sure all the "wise folks" here picked NO. :grumpy:
  11. Oct 29, 2004 #10

yes, I would never get bored. I would also learn so much, and become so wise!
  12. Oct 29, 2004 #11
    A better question would be "Would you want to have the power to choose when you die?"

I suspect that most people would answer that question in the affirmative.
  13. Oct 29, 2004 #12
    I chose no for a simple reason, wouldn't want to give myself another reason to procratinate. And as a buddhist I also believe the end is also another beginning. Would be nice to have a bit of variety in the circumstances one finds oneself in.
  14. Oct 29, 2004 #13
    we have to have some inevitability in our lives, it sounds morbid, yes but death is the only one...
  15. Oct 29, 2004 #14
    No. In short, "to live is Christ, to die is gain." I trust I'm going somewhere better after this life.
  16. Oct 29, 2004 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I went with "Yes". I'm very happy with living and I'm fascinated by life in general. History may have some amazing similarities crop up, but it never repeats itself. Maybe for most of human history, things have changed so slowly that one could feel that living forever meant living today over and over. Not so today - things change too fast to get bored with life.
  17. Oct 29, 2004 #16
    Of course, I will live forever. Its a fact, not a wish.
  18. Oct 29, 2004 #17
    I am assuming you are religous, then the option about living forever is on earth (in our universe) not in any afterlife.
  19. Oct 29, 2004 #18

I'm not religious !

I don't believe in something like that !
  20. Oct 29, 2004 #19

Staff: Mentor

I voted no. The earth isn't going to last forever and it will be uninhabited long before then. Eternal life without any quality would be eternal torture.
  21. Oct 29, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C'mon Evo, you're getting into technicalities now. Perhaps the Universe itself will cease to exist at some point (Big Crunch)...but I would go on ???
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?