Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would YOU live on the moon?

1. Aug 21, 2003 #1
    a spin-off from a prior thread.

I MIGHT consider living on the moon for the following reason.The atmosphere of the moon (aesthetic atmosphere) would in my opinion create a natural high of sorts because of its incongruence with earth. Animals living on earth have experienced Earth's characteristics for hundreds of thousands of years and as a result have nearly solidified their expectation of the ground, the sky, and the oceans... As a result of this natural high, I believe a person could achieve high and deep levels of thinking while experiencing the moon's characteristics.

A longshot of a hypothesis, but in my opinion, worth discussing. What do YOU think? Would YOU live on the moon for a potential benefit of the above?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2003 #2
    I think before long the confines of your living conditions combined with the drab, monotonous appearence of the moonscape would make you homesick for that beautiful planet you could see in the distance.
    So near, and yet another world away...

4. Aug 22, 2003 #3
    Great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

5. Aug 22, 2003 #4
    Here's a book you might be interested in: 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch' by Philip K. Dick. One of my favourites. It's about how colonists on Mars try to overcome boredom and homesickness by giving themselves up to the ultimate drug...

Here's a link:
    http://www.philipkdick.com/steve_young/perky.htm

Ah, and... The moon doesn't have an atmosphere, and much less an 'aesthetic' one.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  6. Aug 22, 2003 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

I think he was just using that term to denote that he was talking about "atmosphere" in the aesthetic sense, and not the mixture of gasses that envelope a planet (the kind the moon doesn't have).

I think that, regardless of the ambiance, any long-term stay would result in low-G related health problems that I would prefer not to risk.

7. Aug 23, 2003 #6
    good point, Maybe a 6 month visit or something like that?

8. Aug 23, 2003 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

I bet it would make a very popular retreat for artistic types. After all, most of them commit a great deal of effort to see the world differently from the rest of us, to give an "outsider's perspective" on the world. This would give them a chance to really set aside their paradigms.

Also, a short term stay might actually have some health benefits for people with circulatory problems, recovering from heart surgery, or the like. The only problem here would be out to survive the launch.

9. Aug 23, 2003 #8
    Give me wings and a big enough air tank...what can I say, I grew up on Heinlein!

10. Aug 23, 2003 #9
    in its frontier stage, no

in its more developed stage, i doubt it

11. Aug 24, 2003 #10

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?