Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you say e, pi and i are the most important non-integer numbers in mathematics?

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    That's what my Precal teacher said, and so far I agree with him (though that's not saying much as I've only been exposed up to Precal mathematics).

Do all of you mathematicians agree?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Would you say e, pi and i are the most important non-integer numbers in mathemati

Yes.

Also important are Euler's constants e^gamma and gamma, the golden ratio, zeta(3), zeta(2), Brun's constant, W(1), Catalan's G, ...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    Re: Would you say e, pi and i are the most important non-integer numbers in mathemati

I'm pretty sure 1/2 is more important than any of those.

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4

I would say kind of because what they represent in words is important, but the number value they hold is arbitrary.

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5

In the world of quantum mechanics this is certainly true, I would say that the order is:

1) e
    2) i
    3) pi

In precal math you often use e to solve financial problems of calculating continually compounding interest. In calculus you find that e is present anytime that the rate of growth of something is proportional to the current amount e.g. money, population, etc. In advanced group theory you find that the exponential e is involved with compounding the infinitesimal generators of the lie algebra (the tangent space at the identity) into the finite elements of the lie group (the entire manifold).

Pi is found everywhere because spheres and circles are the most symmetrical objects (they are defined to be that way).

The imaginary unit i is of similar importance as the real unit 1. In quantum mechanics i is more important than 1, but 1 is also more important than Pi.

Of course, the decimal representations of pi and e are of no importance.

7. Jan 31, 2009 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I totally disagree. 7/13 is much more important than any of the above-mentioned numbers.

8. Jan 31, 2009 #7

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I thought 22/7 was pi?

9. Jan 31, 2009 #8

The primes are important since they can be regarded as the basic building blocks of all integers

10. Jan 31, 2009 #9

I haven't seen 7/13 in many applications or mathematical/scientific literature. 1/2 on the other hand...

11. Jan 31, 2009 #10

arildno why do you think 7/13 is important?

12. Jan 31, 2009 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Because 6+7=13, whereas 6*7=42!!
    I thought that would have been obvious. :smile:

13. Jan 31, 2009 #12

Oh thanks.Nice one.I used to drive a Ford Prefect.

14. Jan 31, 2009 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The extended real numbers [itex]\pm \infty[/itex] are pretty darned important, as is projective infinity. Aleph-null too.

15. Jan 31, 2009 #14

(0.1)^n are pretty important, at least if you consider the decimal representations we use every day to be a part of math!

16. Jan 31, 2009 #15

Isn't there a better way to combine these?

[tex] e^{i\pi} = -1[/tex]

17. Jan 31, 2009 #16

Yeah, that's the reason why he was discussing that in class =P

18. Jan 31, 2009 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not really. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?