Would you support a new writing system for English?

In summary, Noah Webster, apparently, stands as the most successful reformer of English spelling. Other organized efforts have been made, with much less success. Spelling reform is difficult to bring about, as people are conservative and do not like change. Other languages have undergone deliberate spelling reforms, with better results. The only way to see changes to spelling made is through gradual adoption, with older spellings being shown as "archaic" in the dictionary.

Would you support a new (better) writing system for English?

• Yes, major changes

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Yes, but only minor changes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No, it's too much trouble

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No, it's fine how it is

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Don't care/don't know

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
jimmysnyder said:
Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Sonds logikl enuf to me, touh I wuld haf to jit usd to tis drmatik knge ov pasng. I hve a kuastin, sould xe Inglish speeking werld rplake "s" wif "f"? Fhs wud mak Inglish fomwhat mor lojikl, fuld ve want fuch refom.

Wat fuld b xe kors of aktion?

Physics news on Phys.org
motai said:
sould xe Inglish speeking werld rplake "s" wif "f"?
No.

Anyway, that so-called 'f' in old style documents is actually a long s. Comparison with an actual f in the same document will expose the difference.

Yikes ! Twain was a monster ! How could he possibly write "replased" and then go on living his happy life as if everything was right with the world ?

Gokul43201 said:
Yikes ! Twain was a monster ! How could he possibly write "replased" and then go on living his happy life as if everything was right with the world ?
After he wrote that, he died.

English spelling is uber-illogical. Let's take the word "ghoti", we want to find out how to pronounce it. If we take the letters from other words and use their pronunciation, let's see what we can come up with:

"gh" sounds like "f" in 'laugh'
"o" sounds like "i" as in "women"
"ti" sounds like "sh" as in "motion".
Hence we can logically conclude "ghoti" can be pronounced as "fish". Or the other way, we can spell 'fish' as 'ghoti'.
This absurd example is from Bernard Shaw, but the point remains that English spelling is not easy.
-----------
My Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer.
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques for my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write.
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the error rite.
It's rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it.
I am shore your pleased two no.
Its letter perfect in every weigh --
My chequer tolled me sew.

-source unknown

jimmysnyder said:
After he wrote that, he died.
Phew ! There is justice in the world, after all.

Evo said:
I would pronounce "izi" as "is zee" because the first "i" would have a short sound and the "i" at the end would have a long [e] sound. There would need to be rules, the letter "i" can't always have a long [e] sound, if it did, "it" would be pronounced "eet".

That's exactly what I was thinking too. "Izi" would rhyme with "dizzy." Or else you'd pronounce it eye-zeye. Neither a short nor long I sounds anything like a short or long e. Perhaps we just need to correct people's pronunciation so they can spell words correctly rather than changing the spelling? You all apparently needed my first grade teacher who made sure we pronounced every letter perfectly before worrying about how to spell whole words. After the first month of first grade, the rest of our primary school years were spent learning things like diphthongs and exceptions to the rules.

Moonbear said:
That's exactly what I was thinking too. "Izi" would rhyme with "dizzy." Or else you'd pronounce it eye-zeye. Neither a short nor long I sounds anything like a short or long e.
Okay, I know you guys are smart, so what's the problem - am I not making it clear enough?
I'm talking about a real phonetic alphabet and real phonetic spelling. Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_chart_for_English
It's simple: You spell it exactly as it sounds. Is there a long [e] sound? Write i. Is there a [z] sound? Write z. Another long [e] sound? Write i. It's izi!
The symbol i just happens to be the symbol in the IPA for the long [e] sound (as in bee and tea). Of course you'll be confused if you ignore the simple point that izi is written using the IPA alphabet and rules. Stresses aside, there's no doubt about how to pronouce izi using the IPA alphabet and rules. i is the long [e] sound and z is the [z] sound (as in zoo and zip). izi is pronounced just like the English word easy.
This isn't something that I just made up yesterday. Linguists use the IPA for English and all other spoken languages, hence the International Phonetic Alphabet. It's a perfectly good system. I've used it and think it's much easier than the English system - that's why I suggested it.

honestrosewater said:
Okay, I know you guys are smart, so what's the problem - am I not making it clear enough?
The symbol i just happens to be the symbol in the IPA for the long [e] sound (as in bee and tea). Of course you'll be confused if you ignore the simple point that izi is written using the IPA alphabet and rules. Stresses aside, there's no doubt about how to pronouce izi using the IPA alphabet and rules. i is the long [e] sound and z is the [z] sound (as in zoo and zip). izi is pronounced just like the English word easy.
This isn't something that I just made up yesterday. Linguists use the IPA for English and all other spoken languages, hence the International Phonetic Alphabet. It's a perfectly good system. I've used it and think it's much easier than the English system - that's why I suggested it.
OH DEAR GOD! I just looked at that "Phonetic Alphabet". Are they kidding? That would make spelling a nightmare! :bugeye: We might as well all learn Chinese!

According to this "city" would be spelled "sIti".

queen would be kwin? :confused:

kitten would be kI7(backwards E)n :yuck:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
You all apparently needed my first grade teacher who made sure we pronounced every letter perfectly before worrying about how to spell whole words. After the first month of first grade, the rest of our primary school years were spent learning things like diphthongs and exceptions to the rules.

Which of course is one of the advantages of phonetic spelling. Unfortunately the English language is more of a hodge-podge language, and oftentimes it seems that there are more exceptions to laws than there are laws itself, and irregulars bound. It seems to be more of a language that is "heard," and "felt," so that it makes it that much more difficult to learn.

After time and experience it seems like one can distinguish what sort of grammar is correct just by hearing it, and if it doesn't "sound right," then it can be corrected without conscientiously knowing the grammatical rules behind it, by just hearing it. This deficiency, as Galileo pointed out, tends to make some written English words completely different than how they are actually enunciated.

For more information, a quick Wiki can provide some insight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography

Evo said:
OH DEAR GOD! I just looked at that "Phonetic Alphabet". Are they kidding? That would make spelling a nightmare! :bugeye: We might as well all learn Chinese!

According to this "city" would be spelled "sIti".

queen would be kwin? :confused:

kitten would be kI7(backwards E)n :yuck:
But look at how easily you picked it up. :biggrin:
The symbols on that chart aren't very clear. http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/images/ipachart.gif (English doesn't use all of these sounds, so don't have a hernia. :wink:)
Most of the work is memorizing which symbols go with which sounds. Spelling is then mostly just sounding out a word.
There are some new symbols (along with familiar ones), but gee whiz, kindergarteners manage to learn alphabets, and people continue to learn new symbols all the time (think of the new symbols you learn for math, physics, chemistry, etc.).
And I'm only suggesting the IPA as an example. It could be customized for English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
:bugeye: We might as well all learn Chinese!
Ah, you feel my pain. :cry:

? The Poll is EXACTLY how I would've predicted..

I think it'd be too much bother to change the language without having complete co-operation from the (international) education system. However I think it would be great to create an 'international' language. Latin alphabet of course, but all the rules and grammar would be based on logical connections.

honestrosewater said:
But look at how easily you picked it up. :biggrin:
The symbols on that chart aren't very clear. http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/images/ipachart.gif (English doesn't use all of these sounds, so don't have a hernia. :wink:)
Most of the work is memorizing which symbols go with which sounds. Spelling is then mostly just sounding out a word.
There are some new symbols (along with familiar ones), but gee whiz, kindergarteners manage to learn alphabets, and people continue to learn new symbols all the time (think of the new symbols you learn for math, physics, chemistry, etc.).
And I'm only suggesting the IPA as an example. It could be customized for English.
(I'm having fun with this BTW :wink:)

Ok, thanks to your new link, my new word of the day is "fricative". :biggrin: I'm going to see how many times I can work that into a sentence tomorrow.

The problem I see with spelling a word the way it sounds is the variations in pronunciation. In Texas, "oil" would be "all". (I don't even see a replacement for "oi"). Or maybe I am too "stjupId". :biggrin:

TSM, aren't the dialects in Chinese quite challenging? Mandarin as opposed to Cantonese, etc... and I'm not talking lunch menus.

Evo said:
(I'm having fun with this BTW :wink:)
kuɫ. :cool:
Ok, thanks to your new link, my new word of the day is "fricative". :biggrin: I'm going to see how many times I can work that into a sentence tomorrow.
That could actually work. With a fricative, air is forced through a narrow channel, which is formed by positioning two articulators (lips, teeth, tongue, etc.) close together, causing turbulent airflow (frication), as in (upper & lower teeth - with further direction by tongue)) and [f] (lower lip & upper teeth). So when someone is causing turbulence by forcing something through a narrow channel (or too narrow of a channel), you could call that a fricative situation. :approve:
The problem I see with spelling a word the way it sounds is the variations in pronunciation. In Texas, "oil" would be "all". (I don't even see a replacement for "oi"). Or maybe I am too "stjupId". :biggrin:
I think it's helpful (and fun) to be able to easily and clearly include those special, 'deviant' pronunciations. [oi] is a diphthong; it's listed in the bottom right table on wiki. I can't get the address of their homepage to come up, but here's a fabulous site: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/english/frameset.html [Broken]
They list all of the symbols and sounds, with explanation, animation, and audio. Click on vowels > diphthongs. [oi] is (backwards c)I. Check out the 'step-by-step descriptions' for each sound for more detail.
The solution to different pronunciations would be to have standard spellings, which people could learn when they learn the rest of the system. We already have to learn how to spell; this would just make it a lot easier.

Smurf said:

I think it'd be too much bother to change the language without having complete co-operation from the (international) education system. However I think it would be great to create an 'international' language. Latin alphabet of course, but all the rules and grammar would be based on logical connections.
Esperanto
Apearantly though there are more people who speak klingon then there are who speak esperanto. :rofl:

Smurf said:

You may see more support, or at least more pressure, for reforming English as it grows in popularity and more people have problems learning it. The IPA is already used for all spoken languages; The alphabet and rules are the same for English, French, Italian, Swahili, Tolkapaya Yavapai, etc. If you learn the system, you can read and write with it in all of these languages. Of course, you have to learn their lexicon and grammar; I mean you use the same alphabet and such, so you can read a word (and sentence) immediately and know how to pronouce it, even if you have no idea what it means; you also would know how to spell a word once you hear it and so on. Think of how much easier that would make learning new languages. :smile:

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Esperanto
Apearantly though there are more people who speak klingon then there are who speak esperanto. :rofl:
:!) I found my new summer project.

I LOVE wikipedia!

Edit: I intend to learn esperanto, not klingon. :rolleyes: (although am considering learning wookie)

Last edited:
Rimmer from Red Dwarf tried to learn Esperanto. That should give you a vague idea of what would happen to you should you try and learn it. Because we all know sitcoms are real.

All the signs about the ship on Red Dwarf were in Esperanto.