Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wouldn't it be cool if

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    Wouldn't it be cool if websites had a virtual reality simulation option? You could put on your headset and (say you chose PF) could like "walk" into a door that said PF lounge. You could find virtua-people there and discuss stuff like this as if you were really talking to someone. You could sit down, get some virtua-coffee and go on virtua-date. You could set up a virtu-board and write down equations in the physics sections. The book discussion forum would be faster. You could just "shout" and whoevers online could come over to help pick a book. It'd be real world inside a computer. Could someone start work on this?

EDIT: I used the prefix virtua for everything! Please virtua-excuse me!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    wouldn't that change thoughts about this forum, like it’ll be a game site or something, besides you should get concern about the (spirit) of this forum! Which I see is loved by so many as it is…:uhh:
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No - it would be very annoying.
    There was a bulletin board (before www) that worked like that, you logged in and had a view of a street (Looked rather like South Park level graphics). To send a message your little block man walked down mainstreet to the postoffice building, then to read a document he had to walk back out and down to the library building.
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Science Advisor

Why not just go to a convention of physics or something in real life?
  6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    I remember AOL had something similar as a trial way back in the day too... thinking 2.0 days. Neat idea, but in the end its still just a chat room.

Also, games (with the assistance of a voice program) and Second Life already sort of do this, minus the virtual reality headset. Still, I think it would be fun to try.
  7. Jan 21, 2009 #6
    Maybe because its a physics forum, instead of being persons, we could become virtua-wave amplitudes in space or some such thing. We'd have to get hit by a photon to get into another sub-forum. As a bonus, we'd get more intuitive notions about QM doing that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?