Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WOW, Cowboy's Stadium

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32944464/ns/sports-nfl/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_Stadium

This isn't typically what's posted on this forum but my father was saying that he needed to see the new Cowboy's Stadium and I decided to look it up to see what all the hub-ub was about. HOLY CRAP, look at that thing! Sporting a 160 x 72 feet jumbotron... my god! I thought it was kinda funny that the resolution was only 1088x4863.

The Cowboys' lost their opening game :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's remarkable is that the Cowboy's game is already mentioned on wikipedia

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very nice, if only the first game at the new Yankee Stadium had been this tragic.

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4
    Huzzah! I've liked the Giants ever since I pegged them to defeat the "cheating eye-pokers" (aka the Patriots). Plus, being from TN, there's cheering for a Manning, even if that Manning isn't Peyton. Then it's always good to beat out a team thinking so highly of themselves at a home game. I knew it was going to turn out good when the Giants got the first score. I only wish they'd also scored the first touchdown.

6. Sep 21, 2009 #5
    That giant TV looks kinda low. Like low enough for a punt to hit it. Maybe it just appears that way.

7. Sep 21, 2009 #6
    in preseason it did happen and the NFL enacted a new rule just to accommodate

8. Sep 21, 2009 #7
    I saw a major league baseball game where the batter hit a ball that got stuck in a speaker in the roof. If I remember correctly, and I may not, but I think I'm right, they actually counted that as an out.

9. Sep 21, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could've been the old http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/kingdo.htm" [Broken](RIP, it's no longer with us):

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Sep 21, 2009 #9
    I was wondering about that last night....so do they just have a "do-over"?

Wonderful stadium, but now there will probably be teams threatening to leave over the coming years unless a new stadium (of the new standard) is built for them.

11. Sep 21, 2009 #10
    Here is the news story
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4415658

12. Sep 21, 2009 #11

Borg

Gold Member

It's a ground rule double. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_rules_%28baseball%29" [Broken]

Second bullet under "Individual ballpark ground rules".

The example given is the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minnesota.

13. Sep 21, 2009 #12
    Teams get new stadiums all the time. The Lions got a new stadium back in like 2002.

14. Sep 21, 2009 #13
    Depends where the ball goes it could be a ground-rule double or a foul ball depending on what the scenario is...

You can't be out for your ball getting stuck though... if your ball bounces off of something and a player catches it then yes your out... for instance if the ball bounces off a speaker and comes back into fair territory and a player catches it you are out of here :P.

If it goes foul and gets stuck or bounces its just a foul ball... which counts as a strike to a maximum of 2 foul ball strikes...

15. Sep 21, 2009 #14

Yeah I know, but now they are all going to want one that's as nice as that one...a new standard has been set.

16. Sep 21, 2009 #15
    I remember going to the Kingdome as a child! Safeco Field is much nicer however, and the food is amazing!

17. Sep 21, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So true! What other stadium in America can you get sushi, chardonnay...and garlic fries :biggrin:?

18. Sep 21, 2009 #17
    I've heard of weirder rules. I heard in basketball if the ball goes backwards up through the net, it's considered out of bounds. That's just what I heard; I don't remember where I heard it.

I'll tell you a rule that makes no sense to me. In Football, the ball has to be over the front line of the end zone for the touchdown to count. But if you're at the back of the end zone, or the other 2 sides, you just have to have your feet in bounds. Like if your feet are on the line at the back of the end zone and you lean over to catch the ball, the position of your feet matter, not if the ball is vertically above the end zone line in your possession. But if you're at the front of the end zone, your feet are in the end zone, but you need to lean over towards the quarterback to catch his pass, it's only a touchdown if the ball is vertically above the end zone line. The position of your feet doesn't matter. That makes no sense to me. In one scenario, your feet have to be touching the ground in the end zone for the touchdown to count, in the other scenario, the position of your feet doesn't matter, the ball has to be vertically above the end zone.

19. Sep 21, 2009 #18

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because the end zone has a vertical plane at the front. If you have possession of the ball behind that plane, you score. But to have possession of the football you have to be inbounds, which means you need two feet inside

Also, if a baseball bounces off something it is no longer considered in flight and you cannot catch it for an out.

20. Sep 22, 2009 #19
    This is for baseball at Safeco field.

21. Sep 22, 2009 #20
    Apparently the rules vary between stadiums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook