Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wow, I don't even know what tactic this could be

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    Bush and Hezbollah condemn beheading

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/13/1084289801959.html

A Kinder Hezbollah? A PR stunt? Looking for more recruits and empathy?

Either way, the Sydney Morning Herald is doing a hell of a job trying to play cupid with Bush and Hezbollah. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2
    Several years ago, Hamas abducted some Russian diplomats. What they'd forgotten was that the Russians had basically set up tehir entire cell network, and trained them all. The Russians instructed Hamas to return the diplomats, or they'd wander around killing Hamas cells. They gave Hamas 24 hours. Hamas did not comply. The next day, the heads of a Hamas cell (I mean the heads) were delivered to one of the Hamas leaders. The diplomats were released.

Funny old world.

4. May 13, 2004 #3
    Bar none, this is the best story you have ever told on this site! :approve:

5. May 13, 2004 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gotta be "urban legend" --- been too many versions rattling around, heads of parents/brothers/girl(boy)friends. Usually this one is used to belittle the CIA's effectiveness --- "the KGB knows/knew how to settle things" being the punchline.

6. May 13, 2004 #5
    No, it's not urban legend. This was told by the personnel involved, on a documentary about Spetsnaz activities here and there. I have never once heard of it elsewhere, and therefore never as a joke about the CIA.

7. May 13, 2004 #6
    perhaps the fact u never heard it anywhere else means it happened only in their minds. I like the story tho, i will spread it around

8. May 13, 2004 #7
    Make sure you get a big shovel and a clothes pin for your nose before you start the spreading.

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  9. May 13, 2004 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

Hezbollah has improved its relations with Syria since the young Assad took over. It is a strange relationship, a zealously religious shiite terrorist/guerilla army allied to a secular Sunni government. The one thing they have in common is a dislike for fanatical Sunnis. Hezbollah beats them down in Lebenon so the Syrians can keep their hands clean (relatively). The Syrian government are Baathists. While the Syrian and Iraqi Baathists hated eachother, it was because the were rivals for leadership amongst secular Arabs. With the Iraqi Baathist party thoroughly weakened, there is no rivalry. The Syrians have been allegedly aiding the Iraqi Baathist insurgents. The last thing the Syrians want is for Al Qaeda to become strong in Iraq. I believe Bin Laden has called for the death of Assad, and an overthrow of the Baathists in Syria.

You need a scorecard to keep it all straight.

Njorl

10. May 13, 2004 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Agreed.
    Urban legend or not, its the only type of tactic that works with terrorists. Its the reason that plane hijackings largely stopped after a huge upswing in the 80s - the Israelis in particular sent the message loud and clear that 'you may or may not kill some passengers, but either way, we're gonna kill you.' Turns out, not all that many terrorists are suicidal.

11. May 14, 2004 #10
    Check out the documentary "Inside Russia's SAS", Wilton Films and BBC, 1999, produced and directed by Tania Rakhmanova and Paul Mitchell. It's a great addition to any collection. Very interesting stuff. The section about the Kabul raid was great.

12. May 14, 2004 #11
    Oh, by the way, it is Spetsnaz people themselves who describe their activities in the Middle East. Sorry, but it is not "urban legend". Try again.

13. May 20, 2004 #12
    I saw that in a documentary about the Speznaz as well, Adam isn't making this up. Interesting stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?