Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wow I love industrialization

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And the ISO (if they are the ones who allowed this to happen).

Why? Well, so far this family is on 'sweet-executive-leather-chair' #3

Shown here...

[​IMG]

Now, we have 2 broken and 1 new chair. As I assemble this new one, I just realized that almost everything about these chairs (even though they are from different companies) are standardized. The holes (except for arm chairs) are all in the same position, the screws are the same as well. Hell the packaging for the screws were the same! So what I'm going to do is use the handy re-order form and buy new parts and fix the old 2 chairs! Man I am a genius. Wheres my PHD in chair-assembly. That's Dr. Pengwuino to you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    Hey, Im sitting on that chair right now!!

You would know this if you didn't waste time on physics and studied mechanical engineering. Are you sure were not related???

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  4. Jan 22, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well that one obviously isn't mine. Office depot makes a special Penguin line for those of other species.

Oh damn you industrialization!!!!! These jerks made one of these holes too small for one of the screws to go in!!! ROAR!!!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  5. Jan 22, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love it because it lets me build marines, and if I have oil, tanks too!

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5
    lol :rofl:

7. Jan 22, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, they sell screws in the hardware store too. :biggrin:

8. Jan 22, 2006 #7
    Hmm, after seeing your bookshelf, I am not sure if I would want to sit in a chair constructed by Dr. Pengwuino :smile:

9. Jan 22, 2006 #8
    I've had mine for about 4 years now, still works *shrugs*.
    If you have ever tried to put together more than one cheap computer desk (under $600 maybe?) than you would know that everything is standardized on them.
    I was wondering, if they standardize it, why did they have to standardize such crap? :(

10. Jan 22, 2006 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a story of standardization taken to a another level.

A while back I had a microwave oven that quit working. I opened it up to check the fuse, and found instead that it was the contact switch that shut the power off when you opened the door that had gone bad.

Upon closer inspection, I found that the switch could be popped open and the contacts could be re-arranged so that it operated as either an "normally open" or "normally closed" switch. This one was arranged as normally open. The contacts had become burnt (probably from people opening the door before the oven was done cooking). If I re-arranged the switch to normally closed modem it used the other side of the contact, which was good, I'd have a working switch, but of the wrong type.

As it turned out, there was another switch of the same type in the oven set to normally closed, so I just re-arranged both switches and exchanged their positions.

So because the manufacturer used this "universal" contact switch I got the microwave up and running almost right away.

Now here's the kicker:

They have this huge trash compacter at work that quit this summer. I was walking by while the repairman had its control box open, and quess what I saw? That same universal contact switch that was in my microwave!

11. Jan 22, 2006 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Standardization is a double edged sword. It can really save your but, but it can make life miserable sometimes too.

If you like standardization, you'd love designing in aerospace. There are specifications for everything you can possibly imagine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?