Wow, I pitty (don't pitty) my students

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of teaching financial matters and compound interest. One person shares a personal experience of their ex-husband's lack of understanding of finances, despite his education in economics. The conversation also includes a discussion about the role of Ivy League schools in educating their students and the potential for mistakes in the screening process. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of financial education and the potential consequences of not understanding basic financial concepts.
I am guessing Fry was lucky and never got bankrupt by recession!=P

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
Actually, he was. And stupid...
It seems that his only intelligent act was to marry the hottest chick on the planet.

Miss South Carolina? I never knew you were interested in her.

ideasrule said:
Miss South Carolina? I never knew you were interested in her.

:confused:
I had to Google that, and the only one that came up was an airhead from '07. I probably wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers, but that circumstance is unlikely to occur.

By the bye, oh web-footed wonder (OP)... why is it that you are teaching and yet don't realize that 'pity' has only one 't'? :tongue:

Its more than possible that none of them watch futurama.

Danger said:
By the bye, oh web-footed wonder (OP)... why is it that you are teaching and yet don't realize that 'pity' has only one 't'? :tongue:

Talk about spelling, I look on ebay for 'stuff' and I'm surprised how many times 'signed' is spelled wrong in the title:

409 results found for "SINGED"

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw="S...&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&_rdc=1

if you include plus 'in the description' it jumps to:

4,379 results found for "SINGED"

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_n...sid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=1&_rdc=1

Danger said:
Good one. Same idea as "It's always in the last place that I look." Never happens to me, because I always keep looking after I find it. :rolleyes:

Dilbert manager to Alice - I noticed that you also seem to try the correct solution to the problem last.

Matterwave said:
Fry's account had 93 cents in it. It was 2.25% annual interest rate.

Hmm...once you deduct the fees for not maintaining a minimum balance, he probably owed them money rather than the other way around.

Red Dwarf (British SF comedy) had a better one.

The hero ends up frozen and revived 3million years in the future.

Discovering that he is amazingly rich because he left 99p in a bank account, he is also told that he left a light on before leaving home and the Northwest Electricity Board used the balance of his bill to construct a huge battle fleet which now controls most of the universe.

Danger said:
:confused:
I had to Google that, and the only one that came up was an airhead from '07. I probably wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers, but that circumstance is unlikely to occur.

I was just wondering who you thought the hottest chick on the planet was. I thought the airhead was a good one to suggest, but apparently her stupidity isn't as well-known as I hoped.

Moonbear said:
Hmm...once you deduct the fees for not maintaining a minimum balance, he probably owed them money rather than the other way around.

It's possible he opened a student account or something similar which has no minimum balance requirements...

ideasrule said:
I was just wondering who you thought the hottest chick on the planet was.

I guess that you missed the part about it being Evo's husband under discussion...

Moonbear said:

Don't forget inflation. At 2.25%, the $10,000,000 he ended with would be worth less than the $0.93 he started with. Ouch.

kote said:
Don't forget inflation. At 2.25%, the $10,000,000 he ended with would be worth less than the $0.93 he started with. Ouch.

Actually, it was $4.3 billion, however, you do have a point. The pizza and soda that cost him $10.77 in 1999 (which non-coincidentally happened to be the pin number of Fry's bank account) would cost $407 billion based on the inflation rate from 1999 to 2009.

His bank account was .086 pizzas in 1999. It had "increased" to .011 pizzas by 2999. A penny saved is a penny wasted if the interest rate on your savings account is less than the inflation rate. Better to invest in things that will increase your own body fat, since body fat is a much more durable good than plain old money.

Although my experience was insignificant compared to others mentioned, I feel obliged to offer it up. When I 'retired', I left $75 in my company account. The only proof of its existence was that bank account, my company cell, and my post office box. About a year later, I got a notice of debt from good old Royal Bank of Canada. They sucked out all of it, plus another $10, in service charges, and then tried to charge me $25 for being overdrawn. Needless to say, I told them what to do with it and closed my personal accounts. The local (Bow Valley) Credit Union has been excellent. Back when I used cheques (before Interac), the manager would even phone me at home if a cheque came in that wasn't covered so I had time to go in and pad the account.

BobG said:
Actually, it was $4.3 billion, however, you do have a point. The pizza and soda that cost him $10.77 in 1999 (which non-coincidentally happened to be the pin number of Fry's bank account) would cost $407 billion based on the inflation rate from 1999 to 2009.
Shouldn't it be 5.38 billion? It was 93 cents at a 2.25% interest rate, right?

Leptos said:

Clearly you're forgetting the fees that were charged. Don't question Futurama.

kote said:
Clearly you're forgetting the fees that were charged. Don't question Futurama.
Makes sense then. Also, would it be correct to assume there would be indefinite inflation for 1000 years?

Leptos said:
Makes sense then. Also, would it be correct to assume there would be indefinite inflation for 1000 years?

How do you make an assumption of indefiniteness :cool:? Over the course of 1000 years it's probably most likely that the US dollar will be replaced and his bank records will be lost or assets seized. For teaching about compounding interest, though, I think we can just extrapolate historical inflation rates (which have been above 2.25%).

Leptos said:

Depends on whether the interest is compounded annually, monthly, or daily. I agree that compounding monthly would be more likely than annually, but the episode compounded the interest annually. (I don't think any savings accounts compound interest daily, but surely there's at least a few credit card companies that do.)

If it's any solace, I only compounded the inflation rate annually instead of daily.