Meteor Photographed by Accident: Spectacular Green Bolide

• B
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, the photographer got a once in a lifetime shot of a meteor by accident. The meteor appears to be made of copper, air, and atomic oxygen, and the colors are due to the transitions of these elements.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Air.

Likes fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
Air.

What compound in the air exhibits transitions that would produce the green colour? Don't know anything about mineralogy but I presumed this one might be caused by something like copper, nickel or barium in the meteor, or something else that's usually green

That is, unless the colour is only due to an optical quirk, or some other effect that I don't know about

I think it's atomic oxygen, which has a line at 557.7 nm.

Likes etotheipi and davenn
1610119124706.png

• Love
Likes swampwiz, jasonRF, dlgoff and 2 others
etotheipi said:
What compound in the air exhibits transitions that would produce the green colour? Don't know anything about mineralogy but I presumed this one might be caused by something like copper, nickel or barium in the meteor, or something else that's usually green

That is, unless the colour is only due to an optical quirk, or some other effect that I don't know about
Could be nickel as well.

Likes etotheipi
This and the meteor are almost surely from oxygen
I have seen red auroras this prominent in Maine 40 yrs ago. Amazingly the magnetic pole has wandered far enough north and west during my lifetime to make them far less common in Maine (also I am now in the Midwest mostly!). One of the best of nature's displays.

Likes chemisttree and Vanadium 50
chemisttree said:
Could be nickel as well.
One of the earliest chemistry experiments I learned as a child from my father (chemist/EE) was to hold metal coins (before laminates became common) in a natural gas flame using long pliers. Each coin displayed a characteristic color in the flame. Nickles showed bright green.

Perhaps both meteor material and atmospheric oxygen contribute to the colors in this excellent photo.

Likes chemisttree
Klystron said:
One of the earliest chemistry experiments I learned as a child from my father (chemist/EE) was to hold metal coins (before laminates became common) in a natural gas flame using long pliers. Each coin displayed a characteristic color in the flame. Nickles showed bright green.

Perhaps both meteor material and atmospheric oxygen contribute to the colors in this excellent photo.
Yes, both oxygen (even though that’s strictly “forbidden”!) or nickel could have caused it.

swampwiz said:
What would make a bolide be green? Copper?

etotheipi said:
this one might be caused by something like copper, nickel or barium in the meteor,

Highly unlikely copper, as there is close to zero copper in meteorites that have been classified

Nickel tho, is present in good quantities in the 3 main meteorite groups

Vanadium 50 said:
I think it's atomic oxygen, which has a line at 557.7 nm.

Agreed, along with the nickel in the meteor as klystron said, would be my thoughts as well ...

Klystron said:

Green glowing meteors are not that uncommon

One reference

Another site that shows the image linked to in the OP, states that it is the nickel in the meteor

Green Meteors Look Amazing From Anywhere, Be It South India Or Australia (indiatimes.com) seems to be difficult to find specific info from trustworthy sources :frown:

Likes etotheipi, Klystron and hutchphd
You also need to know the camera settings. My Nikon, a P900, has quite a lot of substantial color variations I could produce just from a single color setting. The photographer could easily have chosen something for the purposes of his project that did not faithfully capture the original frequency-dependent flux of the moment. In fact, how you perceive that photo is even dependent on our monitor and surroundings.

1. What is a green bolide?

A green bolide is a type of meteor that appears as a bright green fireball in the sky. It is caused by a large piece of space debris, such as a comet or asteroid, entering Earth's atmosphere at high speeds and burning up due to friction with the air.

2. How common are green bolides?

Green bolides are relatively rare, occurring only a few times a year. However, they are more likely to be seen in areas with low light pollution and during peak meteor shower events.

3. What makes this particular meteor so special?

This meteor is special because it was captured by accident in a photograph, allowing scientists to study its trajectory and composition. It also appeared as a particularly bright and vivid green bolide, making it a rare and spectacular event to witness.

4. What can we learn from studying this meteor?

By studying this meteor, scientists can learn more about the composition and origins of the space debris that enters Earth's atmosphere. They can also use the data to better understand the potential hazards and risks associated with these objects.

5. Is there any danger posed by green bolides?

In general, green bolides do not pose a significant danger to humans. Most of them burn up completely in the atmosphere before reaching the ground. However, larger objects may cause sonic booms or produce meteorites that can potentially cause damage if they land in populated areas.