1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrapping a bacon sandwich

1. Jul 18, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

Ok, so I was late for work today (as usual), and I had my bacon sandwich in my pocket so that I could eat it when I got there. Anyway, I had wrapped it up in aluminium foil and as I was walking down the road, I thought to myself "was there a better way?".

The way I saw it was that metal conducts heat right, so if had a hot bacon butty, then much of the heat would be transferred to the metal and then lost radiated into the surroundings. However if I had my sandwich in a Tupperware container that is an insulator, then the heat would remain in the vicinity of the sandwich. Am I right? If not, which is better for containing a hot substance?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2004 #2
    Put the sandwich in the Tupperware, and then wrap that with foil to reflect the heat back to the sandwich. The best of both worlds.

4. Jul 19, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you remembered to wrap the foil with the shiny side going inside, you'd be okay for a while.

I can only imagine the surprised look on the face of that hot chick in your workplace who asked you "Is that a bacon sandwich in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" and you said "bacon sandwich, baby !!!"

5. Jul 19, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

Unfortunately I never got to use that line. I am a manager so I had to be in an hour before anyone else was there. Otherwise I would have gladly used the bacon roll to stimulate innuendo filled conversation. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook