Need Help: Wreath Products & Standard Wreath Products

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary, the book discusses the wreath product between two groups. The wreath product is a group operation that can be applied to any finite group. The book also discusses the standard wreath product, which is the direct product of two groups.
happyg1

Homework Statement

Hello,
My book has all of 1 page about wreath products and standard wreath products. I'm really lost on this topic and I have 4 homework problems using it. Does anyone know where I could find a little more info on the topic?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuition for wreath products

What book is that? Cameron, Permutation Groups is short and very readable and quite fascinating book, which might help. I don't seem to see the "relevant equations" (am I the only one?), but the basic idea is pretty simple: given two groups G,H acting on X,Y, to form the wreath product action you simply make |X| copies of the H-set Y and then let G act on that by permutating the copies as per the G-set X.

HTH

This book is by Robinson "A Course in the Theory of Groups"
The "Relevant Equations" look like this

Let H and K be permutation groups acting on the sets X and Y respectively. Then H~K=<H(y),K^*|\y in Y>is the wreath product.

Then:
If H and K are arbitrary groups, we can think of them as permutation groups an their underlying sets via the right regular representation and form of their wreath product W=H~K: this is called the standard wreath product.

On of my HW problems is:
Prove that the standard wreath product Z~Z is finitely generated but that it has a non-finitely generated subgroup.

I'm just lost on this concept. I'll have to come back to it later. This book doesn't say anything about |X| copies. I'll try to find your book at the library.
CC

Last edited:
This only deals with the finite case.
You're familiar with the direct product, right?

So, for example if we have a group [itex]H[/itex], then elements of
[itex]H \times H[/itex] are ordered pairs [itex](h_1,h_2)[/itex] and the product is defined in the obvious way:
[tex](h_1,h_2) \times (g_1,g_2)=(h_1 g_1, h_2 g_2)[/tex]

And this readily generalizes to any finite power of [tex]H[/tex].

Now, let's say we have some finite group [itex]G[/itex] with [itex]n=|G|[/itex]. Then, we know that [itex]G < S_n[/itex] from Caley's theorem - that is, we can consider the elements of [itex]G[/itex] to be permutations of [itex]n[/itex] elements.

Now, consider [itex]H^n[/itex] (which is the direct product of [itex]n[/itex] copies of [itex]H[/itex]). Each element of this group is an ordered [itex]n[/itex]-tuple of elements of [itex]H[/itex].

If we consider the elements of [itex]G[/itex] as permutations, we can allow them to act on the elements of [itex]H^n[/itex] by permuting them:
If
[tex]\vec{h}=\left( h_1,h_2...h_n \right)[/tex]
then
[tex]g \cdot \vec{h} = \left(h_{g(1)},h_{g(2)}...h_{g(n)}\right)[/tex]

So, if we consider the elements of the cartesian product [itex]G \times H^n[/itex], we can define a group operation on them:
[tex](g_1,\vec{h}_1) * (g_2,\vec{h}_2) = (g_1 g_2, g_1 \cdot (\vec{h}_1 \vec{h}_2))[/tex]

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks! That really helps! I am MUCH more clear on the concept now. I'll give my HW problem another look with your info at hand.
CC

What are "Wreath Products"?

"Wreath Products" refer to any products that are used to create or decorate a wreath. This can include materials such as wreath frames, foliage, ribbons, decorations, and tools.

What are "Standard Wreath Products"?

"Standard Wreath Products" refer to the most commonly used or traditional materials for creating wreaths. This can include evergreen branches, pine cones, berries, and bows.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing "Wreath Products"?

Some important factors to consider when choosing "Wreath Products" include the type of wreath you want to create, the materials you have available, and the overall look and style you are going for. It is also important to consider the durability and longevity of the materials.

What are some popular types of "Wreath Products" for different seasons or occasions?

Some popular types of "Wreath Products" for different seasons or occasions include evergreen branches and pine cones for winter, flowers and pastel colors for spring, seashells and beach-themed decorations for summer, and colorful leaves and pumpkins for fall and Halloween.

Are there any eco-friendly options for "Wreath Products"?

Yes, there are many eco-friendly options for "Wreath Products" available. These can include using sustainable or recycled materials, using natural elements such as dried flowers and leaves, and avoiding harmful chemicals or materials in your wreath-making process.