Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrestling in TV

1. Jun 25, 2003 #1
    I watched it in TV. IT is violent, full of fights and vulgar words.

I think wrestling is immoral and uncivilised.
    It should be banned !
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2003 #2

Staff: Mentor

Clarification: what you were watching on TV wasn't wrestling. Wrestling is one of the purest sports known to man.
  4. Jun 26, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Wrestling in TV

russ, you and I agree! Wait while I check my heart...no...its still beating.

The stuff we see on TV, even though everyone knows it is staged, I think is still a sad comment on the viewing public. I guess this is really just a modern, washed down version of the Roman Gladiators. Nothing new under the sun eh? Still, since the whole thing is staged, I guess we have actually improved some since the Romans.
  5. Jun 26, 2003 #4
    so are the news....., and thay're not banned
    I think if you have the remote control you are in charge and you can choose what to see.
    anyway I'm more of a Discovery/Animal Planet fan....
  6. Jun 26, 2003 #5
    Would you take measures to control this activity if you were in a postition of power? It sounds like you would, to me.
  7. Jun 26, 2003 #6

Depends if your talking about high school or pro wrestling. If its pro dont worry alot of it is fake anyways besides its no more uncivilized than other programs on tv ie. soaps and southpark.
  8. Jun 26, 2003 #7
    I think WWE shows like Smackdown are some of the best entertainment on the tube. They have clown act plus soap opera plus social satire wrapped up in the scripts, and offer cathartic value. I get all my innate naughtiness out of my system watching just that one show. And you do get to see some wrestling moves, if you pay attention. Performers like Brock Lesnar and Curt Angle are awesome. And Undertaker is fantabulous, Rey Misterio... So on and so on. Always remember, it's a show.

P.S. I don't buy their pay-per-views. I'm too cheap and not all THAT interested!
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2003
  9. Jun 26, 2003 #8
    Wrestling is one of the most idiotic things on TV...what an shame that people waste time they could be reading a bookm, watching such nonsense. The worst of it is, is that they sell that dreck to children!
  10. Jun 26, 2003 #9

hey man, there's nothing wrong with south park... just because they said sh:t 160 times in one episode, and actually had a counter for it, there's actually some intelligence and social commentary to it.

or at least a lot more than there is in wwe or whatever it's called this week. the old-school pro wrestling like when hulk hogan was in his prime was much better than it is now, with ridiculous costumes and acts. a lot of those guys are athletic enough, they should be putting their talents to use instead of whoring them away to cheezy entertainment.

and i always wondered, how do they choose who's going to "win"?
  11. Jun 26, 2003 #10
    Zero says something about "idiotic things on TV". It is the bulk of the other entertainment programming on TV that is idiotic (meaning, worth turning off). I won't even get into the category of "painfully boring".

jb says ""how do they choose who's going to "win"?""
    It's World Wresting Entertainment. That means scripts, plotlines, development of overarching themes. But sometimes things are allowed to take their own course. In the long run, who really cares?
  12. Jun 26, 2003 #11

what happened to wwf and wcw?
  13. Jun 26, 2003 #12
    WWF bought WCW im guessing this was because the WWF was "layin the smack down" in the ratings and the WCW wherent doin very well financially. WWF where forced to change the name to WWE because the other WWF (the one that protects the animals) didnt like the wrestling company using the same name.
  14. Jun 26, 2003 #13

Yeah, wrestling shouldn't be banned.

Honestly, is there any other sport where you can find two scantily clad men, drenched in sweat, exerting all their energy in a vigorous struggle to gain control over each other's bodies?

Well if there is, it's no longer illegal in Texas!

15. Jun 26, 2003 #14

Maybe your not such an A$$hole after all.
  16. Jun 26, 2003 #15
    I wouldn't go that far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?