How can the recursive formula for the integral of sin^n(x)*e^-x be found?

• Thread starter gop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation was about finding a recursive formula for the integral I_n:=∫₀^∞sinⁿ(x)⋅e⁻ˣ dx. The attempts at a solution involved integration by parts and substitution, but the original term could not be obtained. One suggestion was to use integration by parts twice, with the trig terms as 'u' the second time. This resulted in a partially recursive formula: I_n=n²∫₀^∞sinⁿ⁻²(x)⋅cos²(x)⋅e⁻ˣ dx-n⋅I_n⁻². However, the challenge was eliminating the cos² term and proving that as n
gop

Homework Statement

Find a recursive formula for

[tex]I_{n}:=\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin^{n}(x)\cdot e^{-x}\ dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote [tex]I_{n+1}[/tex] and tried to integrate by parts and with substitution, however, I wasn't able to get a the original term so that I could write it recursively.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to do integration by parts twice and then remember that to pick the trig terms as 'u' when integrating by parts the second time

I did that and got something that is partially recursive

[tex]I_{n}=n^{2}\cdot\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin^{n-2}(x)\cdot\cos^{2}(x)\cdot e^{-x}\ dx-n\cdot I_{n-2}[/tex]

However, I don't know how to eliminate the cos^2 at all. Moreover, one should prove with the recursive function that when n->infinity I_n->0. But with this result I don't really know how to tackle this problem either. Somehow I'm totally stuck with this one.

thx

[tex]cos^2x+sin^2x=1[/tex]

1. What is an integral recursive?

An integral recursive is a mathematical function that is defined in terms of itself, where the value of the function at a certain point is calculated using the values of the function at previous points. This type of recursion is commonly used in calculus and can be written as an integral equation.

2. How do you write an integral recursive?

To write an integral recursive, you first need to define the function in terms of itself. Then, you can use the integral equation, which involves the function and its derivative, to calculate the value of the function at a certain point. This process is repeated recursively until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. What is the difference between integral recursion and other types of recursion?

The main difference between integral recursion and other types of recursion is that integral recursion involves the use of an integral equation, while other types of recursion may use different types of equations or algorithms. Integral recursion is specifically used in calculus to solve certain types of problems.

4. What are the advantages of using integral recursion?

One advantage of using integral recursion is that it can be used to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be easily solved using other methods. It also allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of values, as it uses previous values of the function to calculate new ones.

5. What are some common applications of integral recursion?

Integral recursion is commonly used in calculus to solve differential equations, find the area under curves, and calculate the values of complex functions. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve various problems.