1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write down w* in polar form

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys I have been given a question, write down w* in polar form where w=2< -(pi/3). I can work out the question when it is in cartesian form just not this way, any help woud be great.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What does "<" mean??

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Not entirely sure thats just the way it is shown in the question. All i know is when i converted it to cartesian form it became 1 - SQRT3 i

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have left two things ambiguous. As arilno implied "<" is not a standard notation but I am going to assume that you meant the complex number is written in the polar form with modulus r= 3 and angle, or "argument", [itex]\theta= \pi/3[/itex].

The other thing that is ambiguous is the *. I am going to assume that you mean "complex conjugate" which is more commonly written [itex]\overline{w}[/itex].

The connection between "Cartesian representation" and "polar representation" is [itex]z= x+ iy= r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] or, equivalently, [itex]z=x+ iy= r e^{i\theta}[/itex] The complex conjugate is gotten, basically, by changing the sign on "i":
    [itex]\overline{z}= x- iy= r (cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta))[/itex] which, because cosine is an even function and sine is an odd function, can be written [itex]\overline{z}= x- iy= r (cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta))[/itex][itex]= cos(-\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex].

Similarly, from [itex]z= x+ iy= r e^{i\theta}[/itex], [itex]\overline{z}= x- iy= r e^{-i\theta}[/itex].

In either case, the complex number given by modulus r and argument [itex]\theta[/itex] has complex conjugate given by modulus r and argument [itex]-\theta[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook