Write f as piecewise defined function

• Thread starter ludi_srbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the piecewise definition of the function f(x)=x+|x| and the rule for g(x) as the slope of the graph of f at x. The conversation also highlights the importance of including the value of x=0 in the definition of f and suggests using derivatives to find g. It is noted that the derivative of f does not exist at x=0.
ludi_srbin
Let f(x)=x+|x| and g be defined by the rule "g(x) is the slope of the graph pf f at x".

Write f as piecewise defined function. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I write it just like

f(x)={ x+|x| if x>1

Where x > 0, you get f(x) = 2x.
Where x < 0, you get f(x) = 0.

Does that help?

O, got you. Thanks.

TD said:
Where x > 0, you get f(x) = 2x.
Where x < 0, you get f(x) = 0.

Does that help?
Minor point: don't forget x = 0 in your definition. :smile:

So should I put that also?

Make the first one [tex] \ge [/tex] then ;o)

And If I want to find g I use derivative?

Sure, you could do that. Should be quite simple in this case!

Yeah. Thanks for help.

Just remember that your derivative doesn't exist at x=0. I've gotten points taken off because I wrote the derivative with less than or equal signs, even though it's supposed to have just a less than sign.

1. What is a piecewise defined function?

A piecewise defined function is a mathematical function that is defined differently for different parts of its domain. This means that the function may have different rules or equations that apply to different intervals or ranges of input values.

2. How do you write a function as a piecewise defined function?

To write a function as a piecewise defined function, you need to specify the different intervals or ranges of input values and the corresponding rules or equations that apply to each interval. The function should also include a default rule for any input values that do not fall within the specified intervals.

3. Why would you use a piecewise defined function?

A piecewise defined function can be useful for representing a mathematical relationship that changes or behaves differently depending on the input values. This can be particularly helpful in modeling real-world situations or solving complex mathematical problems.

4. Can a piecewise defined function have more than two pieces?

Yes, a piecewise defined function can have any number of pieces, depending on the complexity of the function. There is no limit to the number of pieces that can be used in a piecewise defined function.

5. How do you evaluate a piecewise defined function?

To evaluate a piecewise defined function, you need to determine which interval or range the given input value falls within, and then use the corresponding rule or equation to calculate the output value. If the input falls within the default rule, then that rule should be used to calculate the output.