1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write Spin Force as Curl?

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I put this in the math forum because although it's for my EM waves class, it's a math question.

Show that the spin force can be written as:

[itex]F_{spin}=\frac{-1}{2}Im(\alpha)Im(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})=\nabla\times L_s[/itex]

Find [itex]L_s[/itex].

Where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is complex. I'm using [itex]E^{*}[/itex] to denote the complex conjugate of [itex]E[/itex]. Also, since these are all vectors, I'm omitting the arrow notation atop the vector quantities.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]Im(z)=\frac{1}{2i}(z-z^{*})[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

From the relevant equations:
    [itex]Im(\alpha)=\frac{1}{2i}[\alpha-\alpha^{*}][/itex]
    [itex]Im(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})=\frac{1}{2i}[E\cdot\nabla E^{*}-(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}][/itex]

Substituting in,
    [itex]F_{spin}=\frac{1}{8}[\alpha-\alpha^{*}][E\cdot\nabla E^{*}-(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}]=\nabla\times L_s[/itex]

Here, in order to make a curl appear, I'd like to apply the identity:
    [itex]\nabla\times(A\times B)=A(\nabla\cdot B)-B(\nabla\cdot A)+(B\cdot\nabla)A-(A\cdot\nabla)B[/itex]

However, I'm not sure what the quantity [itex][(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}][/itex] looks like... I don't know how to conjugate this and I'm stuck here for the moment.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If E is a vector then I'm not sure what ∇E means. ∇.E would be a scalar, making E.(∇.E) problematic. Do you mean ∇×E?

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    E is the electric field vector. it is a function of position and time, so that's just its gradient vector, also a function of position and time.

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted