Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write trace of AB* as summation

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    i'm kinda confused regarding summation so i'm hoping someone can help me figure this out and explain to me why it is the way it is

trace(AB*) = ? in summation form

* = adjoint = conjugate and transpose = transpose and conjugate

assume both matrices are square mx of same size n x n

trace = sum of diagonal entries

i'm got this after brute force

(summation of this entire thing) a_ij x conjugate of (b_ij)

i, j runs from 1 to n

but somehow i'm thinking it should be

(summation of this entire thing) a_ii x conjugate of (b_ii)

i runs from 1 to n

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

Erland

Science Advisor

A diagonal element aii of a matrix product AB depends on all elements aik of row i in A and all elements bki of column i in B, not just on the diagonal elements of A and B. Therefore, the trace of AB must be the sum of aikbki over all i and k, not just the sum of aiibii.

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like what you're confused about isn't summation, but rather the definition of matrix multiplication. I'll quote myself:

The problem is quite easy if you just use the definitions. The other definitions you need to use are ##\operatorname{Tr X}=\sum_{i}X_{ii}## and ##(X^*)_{ij}=(X_{ji})^*##, where the first * denotes the adjoint operation and the second one denotes complex conjugation. But you don't seem to be confused about those.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook