How to Write a Dynamical Equation for a Simple Rigid Body System?

• Thread starter dankaroll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary: So if you have 5N, then you should have 5Nm in the equation too.Gravity is in there, and the spring constant is also. You're asking for the dynamical equation of the system, not the relationship between x and a.
dankaroll

Homework Statement

Assume a rigid body with a massless rod that pivots about point O. Displacement x is measured from equilibrium position. Assuming x is small, that the weight at the end of the rod is 5N and spring constant is 400n/m, obtain the dynamical equation of the system.

hw31.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum f =ma[/tex]
f= -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

When I look at the system, I see only two forces acting on it. One of which is gravity, and one of which is the force of the spring. So I come up with

ma=-kx-mg , so

[tex]m\ddot{x}=-kx-mg[/tex]

My intuition tells me something is missing though, since the length of the rod is given. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dankaroll! :smile:
dankaroll said:
My intuition tells me something is missing though, since the length of the rod is given. Any suggestions?

Yeees :redface:

you're using x to mean two different distances, aren't you? :wink:

(and either take moments, or use conservation of energy :smile:)

Are you talking about finding the actual distance x the ball drops down once the 5N force is applied?

I would think you take a moment at point O to find the force of the spring the instant after the system is released.. which would give you

[tex]\sum Mo=0 ; 5N(3a)+(kx)(a)=0[/tex]
[tex]kx= (5N*3a)/(a) = (10a N)[/tex]

so from there you can find the displacement of the spring, which is

[tex]x=(10a N)/(400N/m) = .025a [/tex]

so then you can find the angle, and then the distance that the ball drops,

[tex]x= .025(3a) = .075a [/tex]

which would be the max distance the ball would drop, since over time the system would lose energy. am i right?:biggrin:

You're asked for the dynamical equation of the system.

In other words, how does x (or x') depend on t (or how does x' depend on x)?

Where in your equations is any reference to the speed (x'), or the angular speed?

my only question is, wouldn't angular velocity introduce a theta term into the dynamical equation? how would you handle that?

Ok, well I see that angular acceleration is equal to tangental accel/radius

and angular velocity is equal to tangental velocity / radius

and angular position is equal to tangental position / radius

so...

[tex](1/3)m\ddot{x}=-(1/3)\dot{x}-kx[/tex]

on to something?

dankaroll said:
my only question is, wouldn't angular velocity introduce a theta term into the dynamical equation? how would you handle that?

The question keeps mentioning the displacement x, not the angle, so it clearly wants an answer in terms of x, not the angle.

If you insist on using angle, you can calculate it from x and a. But the rod is massless, and you can assume the rigid body is a point mass, so just use its ordinary velocity, not its angular velocity.

dankaroll said:
[tex](1/3)m\ddot{x}=-(1/3)\dot{x}-kx[/tex]

I don't really understand what you're doing …

where is g? where is a? why 1/3 ? :confused:

I used 1/3 because the conversion from angular to tangential is a/r or v/r.. and the ball is 3a away.

The equation should have the input force in it though.

1. What is a dynamical equation?

A dynamical equation is a mathematical representation of a physical system that describes how the system changes over time. It takes into account the various factors and forces that influence the system and expresses them in the form of an equation.

2. How do you write a dynamical equation?

To write a dynamical equation, you need to first identify the variables and parameters that influence the system. Then, you must determine the relationships between these variables and express them using mathematical symbols and operations. Finally, you can use principles of physics, such as Newton's laws, to create a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of the system over time.

3. What are the key components of a dynamical equation?

A dynamical equation typically consists of variables, parameters, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It may also include functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions, to represent complex relationships between variables. Additionally, the equation may contain constants to account for external factors that remain constant throughout the system's behavior.

4. How do you validate a dynamical equation?

To validate a dynamical equation, you can use experimental data from the physical system and compare it to the predictions of the equation. If the equation accurately reflects the behavior of the system, then the data and predictions should match. Additionally, you can use mathematical analysis techniques, such as stability analysis, to determine if the equation accurately describes the system's behavior over time.

5. Can dynamical equations be used for all types of systems?

Dynamical equations can be used to describe a wide range of physical systems, from simple mechanical systems to complex biological or ecological systems. However, the equations may vary in complexity depending on the system being studied, and it is essential to consider the limitations and assumptions made when creating and using a dynamical equation for a specific system.